For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver | Teen Ink

For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver

By freedomwriter7 PLATINUM, T-town, Illinois
freedomwriter7 PLATINUM, T-town, Illinois

"Nothing we learn in this world is ever wasted." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

ThinkGeek asks: did you know that Vulcans eat cookies only once every seven years?

When your ears first taste Bon Iver’s chilling voice, they are sure to bring your entire mind to a standstill. And that reaction is a good one. Bon Iver, pronounced “Bonne EE-vair”, formed in 2007. Initially, a Bon Iver song can come across as something simple and quiet. But upon furthering listening, there is a depth that millions of popular songs cannot compare to.
While many people struggle to put their feelings and thoughts into words, the brain and heart behind Bon Iver, Justin Vernon, seems to have no trouble at all. The album For Emma, Forever Ago, came about after Vernon decided to free his collection of emotions and memories that had built up over a span of six years. The result? Beautiful. Stunning. Raw.
Oftentimes, society becomes caught up in bubblegum rifts and slurred lingo. Rarely is it captivated by something true. With Bon Iver’s debut album, listeners found themselves strung up by the intensity of Vernon’s layered sounds and lyrical stories. Three years later, it still elicits the same reaction. That is a lasting album.
“Skinny Love” is a highlight track filled with crisp chord progressions and vocal play. Peppered with visual scenes, it is a song too-oft passed over for simpler, cheaper tunes.
“Re: Stacks” is another widely popular song from the album. It is not as sharp as the latter and flows more calmly, but is equally wondrous. In my personal opinion, it is soothing. And endearing.
In one word, this album can be summed up as honest. There are no false pretenses to muddle listeners, no disillusions. It is a real take on real life, and it is incredibly beautiful. It is my wish that Bon Iver will continue to delight listeners of the world for years to come.

Bon Iver has inspired me to dream and to write and to love fully and eternally. This article is the absolute least that I can do.

callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon

"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

I'm glad someone out there appreciates Bon Iver's beauty. What is does is stunning. I listen to his music, and I'm literally in another world. This was the way music was suppose to be. Like you said, his music is raw. Your review was great, and sums up his album perfectly :)