Adele – 21 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

If you've listened to the radio at all this year, you've heard “Rolling in the Deep.” It's one of the most successful songs currently, and pretty much sets the mood for “21.” Every track relates to breaking up, moving on, or regret. And, although “Rolling in the Deep” is good, it's by no means all the album has to offer.

Each song on “21” has a distinguished individuality. “Rumour Has It” boasts a pounding bass line, whereas “Don't You Remember” has a beautiful subtlety that will leave you tingling. Although every track is unique, the songs intermingle, piecing together a story of Adele's life. “I'll Be Waiting” is an uplifting medley of orchestra and pop, with interesting metaphors used with pleasing results: “Yes, I swam dirty waters. But you pushed me in.”

Although there isn't a bad song on “21,” a few fail to match Adele's standard. “Take It All” has the potential to be amazing but stops and starts so frequently that no flow is created. Similarly, her cover of The Cure's “Lovesong” is a bit of a letdown, with monotonous lyrics and no development. However, these don't detract from the album's appeal, and every other song is enjoyable – even after hours of listening.

The last track, “Someone Like You,” is unquestionably the best. It's emotionally touching, relatable, and enormously catchy. If the lyrics “I'd hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded that, for me, it isn't over” don't make you shed nostalgic tears of pain, nothing will. It's a perfect way to end a phenomenal album.
If you don't already own “21,” buy it … now.

Avipsha said...
She's my favourite :)

LadyRose said...
What a well written article! I have recently gained respect for Adele as an artist and am thinking about buying this album. Your review only makes me want to go get it more. Keep up the good work.

carlya14 said...
"Someone Like You" is my favorite song...EVER! I haven't gotten the album yet, but I definately will!

vannybear said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:51 am
I love this album. It has a fabulous jazzy bisto feel and is perfect to sing to anywhere. I can see why it is a best seller because of her clear tone and ability to loose herself in her music while pulling others in.  

moedee13 said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:48 am
This is a great article that boldly tells about her "Adlele 21" album songs. I think that Adele has great talent and can hit the high and low notes perfectly. The album is mostly filled with sappy love songs, but are greatly written and sang.

meli-meli said...
You have all the witty remarks a review of any kind should have! It does the album justice, because I'm a strong believer in Adele's talent. 

Laura_Oliver said...
This is a really nicely written review, and you have all the great adjectives to describe things that I didn't quite have--I just posted a review of 21 as well, and you will find we agree on most things, even if I go on and elaborate about everything that pops into my head. And if I hadn't heard the entire album yet at the time of reading this, I would definitely try it out based on your descriptions. Anyway, great article, and congrats on getting "Editor's Choice" (you deserved it, and did you ... (more »)

Laura_Oliver replied...
Oh, and I also noticed you have to make the title five characters long, but instead I did "21 (Twenty-one) by Adele". Yours was better.