Piano Man by Billy Joel | Teen Ink

Piano Man by Billy Joel

By TinaFeyfan BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
TinaFeyfan BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey

"Its my way till pay day."- 30 Rock

How does one describe a song that is legendary. Today's music industry is filled with songs about partying, drinking, and glitter. This song brings you back to the time when songs actually had meaning.
"Piano Man" summarizes a Saturday night in a bar through the piano man's eyes. The songs central theme is that we all have dreams, but we might not all reach them. There are many people in the bar who have dreams, but will not reach them. For example in one verse he sings "The manger gives me a smile, because he knows that its me they been coming to see to forget about life for a while."
The songs melody is ten times better then what is being played now. The piano and the harmonica are primarily heard.
The song makes you realizes that live is not always a fantasy and not every one gets what they want. To me the song is one of the best ever made. Billy Joel's soothing voice puts you there in the bar and you can see the people he describes vividly. The song makes you think and it is like reading a book. I must say that Billy Joel made this sad song sound like an anthem that one day everyone will sing while talking about the good old days. When I say that I mean it in the most positive way. I give it three and half stars out of four stars.

Mothra7687 BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan

"Don't try to live your life in one day." - Howard Jones

You did a wonderful job on writing this review. I can tell your really passionate about this song, and your point within it comes across very clearly. Keep writing.

"Its my way till pay day."- 30 Rock

thanks, I love your comment!

mlynch BRONZE said...
on Apr. 27 2011 at 8:04 am
mlynch BRONZE, Summit, New Jersey

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it present."

Good job writing this review!!I have never actually heard this song, but I agree that today's music doesn't really have a point. Keep up the good work!