The Script by The Script | Teen Ink

The Script by The Script

March 31, 2011
By helizabethg GOLD, New York, New York
helizabethg GOLD, New York, New York
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
The stories we love best do live in us forever.


“Well, coming from Ireland, we’re definitely big story tellers- out songs tend to have a beginning, a middle and an end, with lots of plot and characters in between, they’re almost like mini movies in a way!” says Mark Sheehan guitarist for The Script—an Irish pop rock band from Dublin, Ireland—explaining the meaning behind their unique band name. What sets The Script apart from other bands is the way their lyrics resonate with people. As Sheehan says, they have a plot and characters, it’s like one story told through beautiful music. There’s depth in the words they sing, unlike many artists these days who sing about sex, drugs, or topics equally as shallow. They sing about the pains of life, pouring their hearts and souls into each and every song to do so. “There is a whole lifetime in these songs,” says Sheehan. “We don’t write them in ten minutes. A song takes nurturing. It is an evolving thing.”

All three members, Danny O’Donoghue, Mark Sheehan, and Glen Power are unfailingly charismatic and they have a wonderful dynamic as a group. Because of the care they put into their songs, their performances are full of passion, soul, and excitement. Fans scream ear piercing screams as they walk on in front of explosive lighting then, switch to yelling every lyric at the top of their lungs as they jump up and down.

“One of the things that gets us buzzing as a band is when we are close to fans and can touch hands. So we designed the set so can still get close to the crowd, so that they feel the energy and we feel the energy,” says Sheehan. Danny, the lead singer will walk right up to the audience and sing with the fans. They grab his arms, any part of him that they can reach, as he reaches into the crowd. He smiles at the crazed fans as he continues to sing. Every time they talk about their favorite songs to perform, they each choose one in which they like to turn he microphone to their fans and let them sing back. The impassioned love of their fans is an overly attractive quality about the three members.

Additionally, unlike many "mainstream" bands today, The Script isn’t popular because of the way they dress or some gimmick to gain attention. Their only “gimmicks” are pure talent and passion.

Overall, from the songs to the members, the band is full of passion and soul. The band creates a whole new brand of Celtic Soul, “blending hip hop lyrical flow with pop melodiousness, state-of-the-art R'n'B production with anthemic rock dynamics, classic song construction with gritty contemporary narratives,” (The Script Music Biography). Their two albums, “The Script” and “Science & Faith” have easily wormed their way into my heart and, with one listen they will to yours.