What's Going On by Marvin Gaye | Teen Ink

What's Going On by Marvin Gaye

February 15, 2011
By Anonymous

The Prince of Soul
If you are a fan of vintage R&B and Soul, Marvin Gaye is an essential artist that is a must. This “Prince of Soul” was named 18th out of 100 for best artists of all time in Rolling Stone, and was inducted into to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three years after his death in 1984. Marvin Gaye was a monumental artist with an eye for social problems all except for his own. His tragic death, though may have opened the door to different audiences, was most likely something that could have been avoided, had he been focused on not only the world’s problems, but his own.
Gaye’s beginning was similar to most at his time (such as the Dreamgirls) considering the fact that he started off with a group “the Marquees” which later turned into “Harvey and the Moonglows.” After an arrest for possession of marijuana, the leader, Harvey Fuqua got rid of the group, all except for Gaye. Somehow, Gaye met Berry Gordy (The founder of Motown Records) and Gaye was soon signed.
Through a variation of singles such as “Pride & Joy,” “What’s the Matter With You Baby,” and “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You),” Marvin Gaye became a star and was able to release “Moods of Marvin Gaye.”
Though most commonly known for his love hits on the album “Let’s Get it On,” Gaye’s main political hits are on his “What’s Going On” album, which also happens to be my favorite. This album came after Gaye’s bout with depression, and the listener feels as though that it so after hearing the album. With lyrics like “Make me wanna holler, the way they do my life,” “(Inner City Blues)” and “you see war is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate” “(What’s Going On)” these songs make people stop, listen and evaluate the current state of themselves, and our nation. The wonderful, scary and soul-filled songs this album produced forces people to decide how they feel. “What’s Happening Brother,” and “Save the Children,” also hold equally strong messages, it feels as though these may be songs to skip on this record. All in all, Marvin Gaye produces a beautiful socially-aware album that is truly beneficial to those that let it.
This is an album that you should definitely purchase, despite the few tracks that may or may not need to be skipped.