Crazy Love by Michael Buble | Teen Ink

Crazy Love by Michael Buble MAG

By Ashton Smyth BRONZE, Colleyville, Texas
Ashton Smyth BRONZE, Colleyville, Texas

As times change, usually so does music. From buffalo-skin drums to pan flutes to Mozart, from Sinatra to Van Halen to the Jonas Brothers, music shifts to match the ages and innovations. When it comes to music, we rarely look back to appreciate the songs that got us where we are today. And what does this leave us with? An insatiable craving for new, better, and different music. But what about the classics? The swing bands? What happened to them? They slowly blend into the recesses of the musical graveyard.

Occasionally, though, a singer steps up to the challenge of bringing back the classics. Young, talented Michael Buble is the man for the job. On “Crazy Love,” Buble masterfully mixes songs of the past with his own flavor, voice, and style, including a few of his own tunes.

As I put in his CD, I had no idea what to expect. I had never heard of Michael Buble and I knew no classic swing songs. I immediately fell in love with the first song, “Cry Me a River,” a spin on a classic big-band song, with a James Bond flavor. Next came Buble's cover of Frank Sinatra's “All of Me.” I instantly appreciated the swing and rhythm of this song as well as Buble's wonderful, full-range voice. The next songs, “Georgia on My Mind” and “Crazy Love,” both covers of popular older tunes, caught my attention, as the soft, easygoing songs bored me.

“Haven't Met You Yet,” written by Buble, climbed its way up the charts, letting the world know his voice and name. “All I Do Is Dream of You” is one that was also sung by Buble's predecessors, including Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, and Dean Martin. It has a fun, upbeat melody and uplifting lyrics. “Hold On” is an emotional song that reaches into the listener's heart to inspire love and our will to let it live. “Heartache Tonight” is fun to sing along to, and whether most people realize it or not, they probably know a few words, considering The Eagles sang it decades ago. My favorite is “You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You,” a classic once performed by Frank Sinatra. Buble adds his own style, transforming it into a different song.

Throughout “Crazy Love,” the listener can experience the swing and big-band feeling, with blaring trumpets, powerful bass, and smooth clarinets and trombones.

Every so often, as I listen to these songs, I'm taken back to the 1940s, where I imagine myself with Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald, listening to a smooth, jazzy song sung by a classy, suited man. These daydreams don't last long as the twenty-first century commotion and craziness bring me back. But at the end of the day, it's wonderful to know that I can escape into the past and feel relaxed as Michael Buble's “Crazy Love” echoes in my head.