Lungs by Florence + The Machine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I tentatively plugged my ear phones into my laptop to check out my friend's latest recommendation. I usually trust her endorsements and typically sync my iPod after five minutes of listening to her latest discovery. This time, however, it seemed as if she had struck out. Just the name of the group put me off somehow. Yet despite this I was immediately hooked by Florence + The Machine and their debut, “Lungs.”

Initially attracting attention with their feisty and fiery debut single, “Kiss With a Fist,” the group (Florence Welch accompanied by session musicians) rivaled the talents of contemporaries including Lily Allen and the late Amy Winehouse. The punk-pop single ruled the British airwaves the summer of 2008; however, even its success was no sign of what was to come.

Florence + The Machine returned in 2009 with the complete album, “Lungs.” It immediately received critical acclaim for the stand-out songs “Dog Days Are Over,” “Drumming Song,” “Howl,” and “Cosmic Love.” It is the first of these that most accurately represents the album, not “Kiss With a Fist.” The song's rhythms and melodies are the perfect complement to Welch's voice.

Although she seems quiet and pretty shy during interviews, on stage, with a flip of her fiery red hair, Welch dazzles audiences, belting out her heartfelt and intricate lyrics with soul and intensity. Her music, though not following clichéd pop structure, is infectious. I personally cannot stand still while listening to “Dog Days Are Over” and “Drumming Song,” while “Cosmic Love” and “I'm Not Calling You a Liar” show her softer side. Her range as both a singer and writer gives Welch's music major appeal.

If you enjoy the biting sarcastic lyrics of Lily Allen or the soft introspective music of Kate Nash, you will certainly enjoy Florence + The Machine.

With-the-Wolves said...
I LOVE Florence+The Machine. I looked them up on iTunes because of this review and now I'm obscessed. Great review!

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I <3 Florence & the Machine!! Great article!!!

lexi239 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I <3 <3 <3 florence + the machine!!! florence welch has such an incredible, powerful voice and all the sings are different but i love them all

StrangeJadeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
*squeals loudly* I love Florence + the Machine! :D I also highly recommend the album "Lungs - the B-sides." It has a lot of her lesser-known songs, and is pure awesome. :)

callie15 said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 1:28 am:
I've heard that this album is really good. It is currently on my list of albums that I need to listen to, which is quite long.... Oh! And great review, of corse ;)

Harebelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great! I will definitely check this out because I LOVE Lily Allen. Funnily enough, I just bought a song from that album, Heavy In Your Arms, and I am loving it!

InvisibleNerdGirl said...
May 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm:

I love this album!! "Cosmic Love" is currently stuck in my head. And has been for a week. :P

The stars

The moon

They have all been blown out...

Help... ;)

BFG...BigFriendlyGingerxxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm:
I am a big fan of Florence and the Machine and one of my best friends has officially been labeled obssessed by my friends and I, we're both glad you like her too :D I think music is always something that people become friends through, its a link that last forever and a debate point that brings people together :) Music will never die :D