HIM Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice | Teen Ink

HIM Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice MAG

January 31, 2011
By Hervey Rico BRONZE, Goodyear, Arizona
Hervey Rico BRONZE, Goodyear, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“I'll write down everything I have learned, and edit it down to a single word: love,” sings Ville Valo in “Heart­killer,” the first single from HIM's seventh studio album. Valo is not only the band's lead singer, but also the songwriter. As these lyrics show, HIM's music is very emotional, and love is what sparks it. “Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice” is an amazing album with well‑written lyrics for every song. In addition, HIM returns to its original sound, reflected on albums like “Dark Light” and “Love Metal.”

In 2007, when HIM released their sixth studio album, “Venus Doom,” many fans thought the band had decided to make its music heavier. “Venus Doom” was described by Valo himself as the heaviest album yet, with its roots originating from Metallica's “Master of Puppets.” Though the album was well‑received by critics, it was not a favorite with HIM fans. Before “Venus Doom,” HIM was recognized for its keyboards and soft melodic sounds. After this album, many fans claimed HIM was beginning to sound like “just another rock band.”

However, last year, when “Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice” was released, HIM brought back its unique sound. Keyboards are used more in this album, giving Janne Puurtinen an opportunity to play his cherubic melodies. In addition, the lyrics are more emotional and deep.

“Heartkiller” is a very energetic song. It is also symphonic, and with the touch of Valo's voice, it is a good rock love song. In addition, “Like St. Valentine” and “In Venere Veritas” are beautiful both musically and lyrically.

Overall, “Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice” is magnificent and a must‑buy for HIM fans. In fact, any rock fan should at least check out “Heartkiller.”