"Senseless" by David Archuleta

On January 6, 2011, a song that didn’t make it on David’s debut album leaked. The song is called “Senseless”, written by James Fauntleroy, who helped pen another one of David’s songs, “My Hands”. And this song is a little bit like it. With an R&B vibe, showing David’s rougher voice and his sensitive side.

The song is about a girl breaking up with him, and how he can’t handle it. It’s making him senseless. This song seems a bit extreme for David, considering he’s said he would never act this way over a girl. It seems like that’s why this song didn’t make the album. It’s a lot like “She’s Not You”, another reject off of the debut which was leaked last year. Both songs show a more vulnerable David, going crazy over a girl, and that’s not the way David is. Though he puts a lot of emotion into this song when singing it, it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t connect to it as well as others.

So if the question is whether this song should have made the album, I’d say no. It’s a great song, and David sings it amazingly as usual, putting the right emotion where it’s needed, but it’s not “him”. It’s a lot more believable to hear David sing about touching fans’ hands rather than things like this. Fans would much rather want to hear the real “David” in his songs rather than him singing a good song just for the sake of a good song.

GoGetter said...
Great singers that connect with a song don't need to have experienced what they are singing about.  David can sing any song and it will have more emotion than most who may have experieced such a situation.  Did Carrie Underwood slash all 4 tires in real life as her song implies, I think not.  So David sing anything, don't deny your fans any song you sing.

AALetta This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I didn't say David couldn't give the song the emotion needed. He definitely did, I love the song and the way he sang it. I just don't think the song was as "him", as opposed to the songs on his latest album which he obviously relates to more.

GoGetter replied...
I just don't want to miss out on any song David puts his midas touch on, whether or not the lyrics represent him.  It is his voice and that is enough for me, he wouldn't record a song if he didn't feel comfortable with it.  Each new song David sings is a masterpiece.  I think we can agree that we are both fans. 

Jan. 15, 2011 at 1:31 am
I'm sorry if you're misunderstood about this. I'm a huge fan of David, and I agree that any songs he sings is amazing, including this one. All I was saying is that the song isn't "him". When he made his first album, it was rushed, so he probably just sang the songs given to him, unlike the new album where he helped write them and has a connection to them. I'm not saying thee's anything wrong with this song, it's just not as "him" as a lot fo his others. I do love it though :)

LyLuvMusic said...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 7:14 am
I totally agree with this article. This song is really really beautiful, and David sang it extremely well, but seems like it's not for him, cause it's not "David". This song is too "relationship-ish" for him. No wonder why it didn't make it on the album :)

★FallingStars★ said...
Love this review! Senseless is an amazing song <3