Memento Mori by Flyleaf | Teen Ink

Memento Mori by Flyleaf

By KellySkyeG SILVER, Freehold, New Jersey
KellySkyeG SILVER, Freehold, New Jersey

"Joy Will Come" - Flyleaf or "rebellion is just misguided creativity" - James Hetfield

Flyleaf’s Memento Mori

Flyleaf’s highly anticipated second album “Memento Mori” has rang a lot of controversy among fans and critics. While some argue it is a religious album, Flyleaf members have stated time and time again that they do not consider themselves a religious group though sometimes their beliefs are woven into their lyrics. Controversy aside, Memento Mori has taken Flyleaf to new heights as a rock group showcasing their ability to use both captivating lyrics and head – bang worthy guitar riffs. Memento Mori (Latin for “be mindful of death” or “remember you will die”) plays out almost like a story through the course of the album. Starting with the fan loved single “Again” and finishing with an array of acoustic bonus tracks, the album takes listeners on a ride through the troubles of love and life and contemplating life and death. Over all I must say that I enjoyed Flyleaf’s debut album a bit more, but Memento Mori still scores a 4 out of 5 in my book.

Key Tracks:
Again (for fans of Fully Alive, Perfect, and Cassie)
Missing (for fans of Sorrow, All Around Me, Red Sam)
Beautiful Bride (for fans of I’m So Sick and Cassie)
Break Your Knees (for fans of So I Thought, and Red Sam acoustic version)

a review of flyleafs album released in 2009