Escondida by Jolie Holland This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

With today’s popular music consisting of bad lyrics but catchy beats, it’s hard to find a balance between the two. This album finds a good median, mixing foot-swaying songs with pointless lyrics in some songs like “Old Fashioned Morphine” and “Mad Tom of Bedlam” with the heartfelt lyrics and easy beats of “Sascha” and “Black Stars.”

Any one of these songs will put a smile on your face if you really listen to the quirky lyrics Holland writes. Also, the piano solo in “Amen” is truly just fun to have stuck in your head. You’ll find some part of you keeping time with the songs, whether it is your foot, head, or hand.

Holland’s voice could be considered the best part of the album, no question. It has a nasally twang to it, adding a fun, indie sound to her work. It’s easy to sing along to, always staying perfectly in key.

The music is artfully written to be the soundtrack of a lazy day just relaxing. No song receives lower than three stars from me.