Vanilla Twilight by Adam Young | Teen Ink

Vanilla Twilight by Adam Young

August 12, 2010
By Jessica Prather BRONZE, Craig, Colorado
Jessica Prather BRONZE, Craig, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Owl City is a one-man-band created by the cleverly poetic and young at heart, Adam Young, who surrounds listeners in a light-hearted, innocent dreamland of insomnia; a land of fireflies, vanilla twilights, violet eyes, hot air balloons, and plenty more. Adam Young tells you tales of that bittersweet four-letter word. Love.
His song, Hot Air Balloon, takes you on a carefree adventure, taking to the skies with that special someone without a true care in the world, while the bittersweet hit Vanilla Twilight takes you to a world of mourning and ache for someone you can’t have and having the strength to overcome it. “When violet eyes get brighter, and heavy wings grow lighter, I’ll taste the sky and feel alive again, and I’ll forget the world that I knew, but I swear I won’t forget you, oh if my voice could reach back to the past, I’d whisper in your ear, oh darling I wish you were here!”.
And of course, there’s the infamous Fireflies, mourning for lost childhood, and longing for the ability to slow down time. This unique song is definitely a hit, loved by some, hated by others. I have to admit, the song is WAY overplayed, and they should definitely play more of Adam Young’s songs like, Hello Seattle, Vanilla Twilight, Rainbow Veins, and Strawberry Avalanche.
So love him or hate him, Adam Young just keeps on shining, bringing on new lovey-dovey, free-spirited, optimistic music that makes you love life. With his gifted ability to play several different instruments, sing at several different ranges and octaves, and write songs that bring people into a happy dreamland, you won’t miss falling in love with his happy-go-lucky music.