Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri | Teen Ink

Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri

By SeeIfYouCanCatchMe SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
SeeIfYouCanCatchMe SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

Seriously. If you're going to ask me to put a favorite quote give me at least 1000 characters. This will have to suffice.

"Me without you is like a sneaker without laces, a geek without braces, a sentencewithnospaces."

I bet there are many of you teens out there who watch So You Think You Can Dance.

If you don't watch this quite entertaining show, here's a little snippit. It's a competition show, much like American Idol, where contestants dance for votes from the American audience and are eliminated slowly.

Recently, a choreographer on the show, Stacey Tookey discovered a waitress' song titled "Jar of Hearts." Tookey featured this song on one of her performances and suddenly this song sky-rocketed. Christina Perri was this lucky waitress and is still unsigned to any record label to this day. She did however, quit her day job as a wench after the she was discovered.

The song is a melancholy composition of minor key signatures and slightly haunting lyrics. Perri herself plays the piano in the song. The piano is the main instrument in the piece with hints of cello. The song tells the story of a past relationship with a man who is a serious heartbreaker. The heartbreaker returns wanting her back. Perhaps it's not the most original backstory but the song is delivered beautifully and written in an honest and uncensored, raw way.

Perri was invited back to the show, SYTYCD, to perform live and it was clear that this fantastic artist was not autotuned or machine-produced.

This song is very touching and soared to number eight on the iTunes top ten. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone. I would bet a good deal of my college savings to say that Perri will go far in the future.

"I know I can't take one more step towards you; 'cause all that's waiting is regret. Don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore? You lost the love I loved the most.

I learned to live half-alive, and now you want me one more time. Who do you think you are? Runnin' 'round leaving scars? Collecting your jar of hearts, and tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold, from the ice inside your soul. Don't come back for me. Who do you think you are?"

I just love this song. :)

on Oct. 12 2011 at 9:45 am

:) This Is A Good Song For And Emotional Play/ Or Dance

And Its A Good Lulliby (My Opinion)

on Oct. 10 2011 at 9:28 am

I Love This Song, I Have DEEP Memories About This Song, My Boyfriend And I Had Our Fist Kiss, And Our First Dance To This Song :) But The Sad Part Is We Already Broke Up :(, But This IS My FAVORITE Song EVER!!! I've Heard Songs Like This, But I Always Have This Song In My Mind :)Christina Perry Is An Awesome Singer, I Also Recomend The Band Perry.

JustKeepFalling GOLD, Byron, New York

“I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.”

I absolutely love this song. the thing is, I had my first slow dance to it:) i will remember it forever.

on Nov. 1 2010 at 8:17 am
emotastic BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
I totally agree. The one thing I LOVE about this song, is the one line where she goes "your going to catch a cold from the ice inside your soul." That always seems to give me goosebumps.