Recovery by Eminem

RATING: 3.5 OUT OF 5 STARS

Review: Just over a year after the release of his 2009 album "Relapse" Eminem releases his "Recovery" Eminem features Rihanna, Pink and Lil Wayne on this record and the songs are a bit stripped down, not poking so much fun at Hollywood celebrities. I see two down-sides to this record: 1. There are 17 songs on this record, it is a bit extensive and at times can be boring and 2. It's not the Eminem we know and love, poking fun at Hollywood, Wasington politicians, etc. I don't really want to an hour-some long record with Eminem whining instead of ripping. In the end, I wouldn't buy the entire album on iTunes or in a store, just buy the singles "Not Afraid" "Love the Way You Lie" "Won't Back Down" "Talkin 2 Myself" "Cold Wind Blows" "No Love" and "25 to Life" (most of these songs feature a guest)

LadyWisdom98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Eminem is greatest rapper that ever was.

GrandmasCookies41911 said...
May 12, 2011 at 8:23 am
Eminem is sweet :)

wej206 said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:02 am
I think that just a couple of the songs on this album may be boring but overall this is one of my favorite albums of all time and the majority of the songs are great.

ZJ414 said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:01 am
Good review, but i don't think eminem is boring at all. But i also never heard his Recovery album, just a couple of the songs from it. And i don't know how you can call that "Whining", eminem tears all of his songs up.

Mudflap said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 9:56 am
I thought that is album was god. I just don't think that eminem should change the way he raps. It's starting to turn more into pop then rap. I think he is a good rapper and all, but he is not the best person. He hates women, and always talks about hitting them.

just-ryan said...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 1:19 am
bro, idk exactly how you can call it whining, im not wanting to start an arguement, im just saying, theres a lot more people hes connecting to on this level with the RECOVERY album, its more down to earth, and hits lots of issues that lots of people struggled with, like myself for example, trying to quit drug abuse to try and make a new start, and facing all the challenges on the road to recovery, as well as the pain that people suffer in the hopes and attempts to turn thier life around and make... (more »)

yeaaiitsemilyx3 said...

good review, i agree, i wish he would bash celebrities, etc, because that's what made eminem himself. 

although i have to disagree on the songs to buy, i would buy space bound over any song, it's a song with a lot of meaning behind it (minus him rapping about killing himself and strangling his wife), i love it. 

Jy-rynn This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 2:26 am
I've been listening to Eminem since he was"spittin in your onion rings" and i do agree with Muiscfan that Eminem rose to fame saying things that no one else dared to say.  Shady rapped about his life while every other rapper was talking about rims, and money and stuff no one cared about. On the Recovery album, i moderately agree with the picks of the best songs on the album. i never grew to like "not afraid" because even though it was sincere it got kind of cheesy afte... (more »)

MusicFan1667 replied...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 11:13 am
Totally agree.

kdiddy. said...
this new album is LEGIT!.

meli-meli said...
If you would have really listened to the lyrics of a song like "Not Afraid" or "Love the way you lie" you would realize the album isn't about being the same old Eminem. Its about changing for the bette, being a better influence on his family an fans. and never going back to being lost in desperation and self pity. The change in Eminem is better its great rap and its not all about worldly problems but, really about him as a person. just sayin!

MusicFan1667 replied...
I get that and everything, but the old Em was the best, his slick, clever raps were his trademark thing, his constant ripping on celebrities, etc. Made Eminem who he is today, I just don't wanna see another rapper with potential turn into either a pop-star or a preacher.

meli-meli replied...
Ok. I'll give you that, but everyone tells me he's so much easier to relate to know. And his music touches people in more personal, powerful ways.

MusicFan1667 replied...
But you're not supposed to RELATE to Eminem's music, you're suppossed to laugh and get goosebumps from how quick he can pass off rhymes, Eminem is on the road to becoming a sell-out

just-ryan replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 1:24 am
bro, a rapper with pottential? eminem is on a new level, he doesnt have potential, he is potential