Smile Kid by We the Kings This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Travis Clark is a sweetheart. The frontman of Florida's pop-rock quartet, We The Kings has a lot of personality (just ask any adoring fan) which is expressed in his online blog along with the love for his longtime girlfriend making him a quirky romantic. Combine this with talented guitarists and a spunky drummer, that should equal an awesome follow up to their self-titled debut album right?

Nope.

Smile Kid shows literally almost no progress from We the Kings. To be honest it feels like 11 rejected songs from the debut album. I don't see how the group has evolved. They definitely played it safe and that is a deadly mistake. If you look at the successful musicians now, they're people who are trying to push themselves and take risks and establish identities for themselves. If We the Kings wants to compete with that, they have to step up their game.

I will not go as far to call Smile Kid a sophomore slump because as unoriginal as the songs feel, Travis's voice is definitely something that saves the record along with his romantic beachy lyrics. Also the acoustic covers are irresistible.

We the Kings has the opportunity to be an amazing band, they just have to realize it themselves.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

sparkofheart said...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 11:19 am:
i agree with you a million billion percent. the first WTK album was amazing..still one of my favs although i purchased it a few years ago, but smile kid doesnt feel like the original image WTK was trying to portray at all! the songs on smile kid make me want to puke and every time i hear one of them i have to go listen to something off of their first album to 'redeem' the horror of smile kid.