Honesty is his best policy by bright eyes

When someone thinks of poetry a few images might cross their minds; old books, sonnets, and depressed dead writers. Though the new age of independent music produces a new poetry for the modern youth, a poetry that is carefully embedded in thought provoking melodies. One band, Bright Eyes, in particular produces not only clever lyrics and songs, but pure words setting the band apart from others in the Indie genre. Singer and main contributor to the band is Connor Oberst, at age 14 the young Nebraskan began contributing to the Indie genre through solo albums, bands, and multiple projects through out the years. Bright Eyes, one of Oberst projects, has released nine albums and EPs since 1998 and continues to amaze with his incredibly originality. The amazing thing about the band is the unique way the lyrics tell a specific story. The songs are not about a happy ending or a sappy breakup, but about real and dark problems in society. There’s no sugar-coating with Bright Eye’s songs, the pure honesty sets them apart from the dime a dozen folk/indie bands with a harmonica. Sure the mellow sounds could disinterest some mainstream audiences, but the true magic of the music lies in the lyrics. The simple but strong imagery and symbolism makes the song lyrics flow effortlessly into beautiful poetry. The journey each song takes a listener through can truly become relatable, and with the jumble of shallow and pointless songs flooding the airways, it truly is a breath of fresh air.
“So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone.
And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow.
But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself,
it's best to compose a poem, an honest verse of longing
or a simple song of hope.”
Bright Eyes: Bowl of Oranges

IgniteTheAirwaves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:55 am

Sorry, one correction because it bothers me. *Conor, not Connor.

And the album name is I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

But it is a great album.