The Number 12 Looks Like You - "Mongrel" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In a dark world of musical entropy where art is steadily going down the tube, there is very little light to keep us from falling entirely into nothingness. Once-respected bands are disgracing themselves by softening up and becoming radio friendly. One band, though, hasn’t disappointed me.

The Number 12 Looks Like You, a mathcore band from New Jersey, scoffs and steps away from all of the sell-outs with their album “Mongrel.” The word chaos is an understatement. Mind-boggling drums, energetic guitar riffs, punchy bass lines, and piercing-to-gravelly screams are just part of the poisonous combo that is “Mongrel.”

Despite the pandemonium, songs like “Imagine Nation Express” and “Grandfather” suddenly break into groovy riffs and catchy choruses. The flamenco flair in “Paper Weight Pigs” will stay in your head for hours, while the jazzy drums in “The Weekly Wars” will keep your feet and fingers tapping.

As you could probably put together, the album is based on the concept of being a mongrel, or some mottled, mixed breed. This album is a mongrel; the disorder doesn’t stop until the last, unpredictable song, “The Try (Thank You).” As if to taunt bands from heavy genres that are lightening up, “Mongrel” is riddled with nonstop heavy chaos and intricate mixes of melody and disharmony.

So, if you’re a fan of The Mars Volta, The Blood Brothers, The Dillinger Escape Plan, mathcore in general, or you’d just like to step out from what your radio and TV tell you to like, give “Mongrel” a listen.

TiffbutterflyWing said...
May 28, 2009 at 2:04 am
I heard one song from them but hated it. It was all screams and absolutely no beat or creativity. i would like to hear other songs to see if they have a little more to offer. Thanks for your review.

Teextormentr replied...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 7:08 am
I love The Number 12 Looks Like You. I feel that they have such creativity and talent that no one seems to appreciate other than those interested in the genre. Thank you, well done.