Blink-182 - "Blink-182" | Teen Ink

Blink-182 - "Blink-182" MAG

As my senior year comes to a close, I routinely find myself drowning in spells of nostalgia and reminiscing on experiences of years past. I remember playing in the snow, procrastinating over homework, hanging out with friends. But I mostly remember the music that helped form my impressionable mind.

When I was young, my dad sang me the songs of James Taylor, while my mom and I belted out the ballads of Tina Turner on the way home from school. As an elementary school student, I became obsessed with the pop craze, and melted when I heard my favorite Backstreet Boy.

This all changed in middle school when I found my “edge,” or at least what I thought to be edgy – the music of Blink-182. This band exuded the teen angst I thought I ought to be experiencing. They were the epitome of cool. They were not afraid to be humorous as they led the forefront of a teenage rebellion.

Blink-182 released their self-titled album in 2003, and I was fortunate to buy it, thanks to a gift card. “Blink-182” became the soundtrack of my final year of middle school. I was an eighth grader growing up to the sophisticated sounds of what bassist Mark Hoppus called a “self-meditation on romantic decay,” and I felt smarter for being able to recite that description on cue. No longer did Blink-182 sing of hot dogs and first dates, but instead serenaded the masses with a refined pop-punk sound that was a refreshing surprise to dedicated fans.

The first single released, and the first song on the album, “Feeling This,” sets the tone with its head-banging drums and heart-gripping lyrics. The next two, “Obvious” and “I Miss You,” have a mysterious quality that further reflects the band’s new attitude about love, life, and music. There is a solid meaning and purpose behind every chord, every note, and every word.

Between the fourth and fifth tracks on the album, a letter is read that Mark Hoppus’ grandfather wrote to his wife during World War II. It brings a tear to the listener’s eye as it describes his unconditional love during the most terrible of circumstances. The remaining tracks encourage listeners to take a new outlook and to see life from a new perspective.

Blink-182’s final album (before their “indefinite hiatus”) was released in 2005, and is something that the band can be proud of as an end note to over a decade of success. Its new-age, sophisticated feel is something that will remain revolutionary and proves that a band can stay true to themselves and their music while growing up and growing apart.

This band reinvented themselves for this album, and their efforts are deemed immortal as “Blink-182” will forever play as the background music to many souls who were touched by this legendary band.

Tyler28Janet said...
on Mar. 9 2013 at 7:23 pm
Some time before, I did need to buy a building for my organization but I did not earn enough cash and couldn't buy something. Thank God my dude proposed to get the loans at banks. Thus, I did that and was happy with my secured loan.

on Aug. 8 2011 at 2:03 pm
callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon

"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Amazing review! No wonder it got published in the magazine. Keep writing reviews!

on May. 13 2010 at 9:29 am
CrackaSmacka01 BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

These guys are my heroes dude. i wouldnt like music without them.....

Dreaa:D BRONZE said...
on Jan. 18 2010 at 7:38 pm
Dreaa:D BRONZE, Del Rio, Texas
Haha wow this article totally describes what I went through too! Last year, my wohle 8th grade year, was pure blink182!! I still listen to them quite often. Absolutely awesome:D

on Jul. 10 2009 at 9:49 pm
GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

GREAT JOB!!!! post more plz..... i love this band so goood i wish i could see them live

on Dec. 4 2008 at 11:00 pm
Holy S---!!! Your reveiw was awesome I couldnt agree more with...everything!! Great Job!!