Blink-182 - "Blink-182" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As my senior year comes to a close, I routinely find myself drowning in spells of nostalgia and reminiscing on experiences of years past. I remember playing in the snow, procrastinating over homework, hanging out with friends. But I mostly remember the music that helped form my impressionable mind.

When I was young, my dad sang me the songs of James Taylor, while my mom and I belted out the ballads of Tina Turner on the way home from school. As an elementary school student, I became obsessed with the pop craze, and melted when I heard my favorite Backstreet Boy.

This all changed in middle school when I found my “edge,” or at least what I thought to be edgy – the music of Blink-182. This band exuded the teen angst I thought I ought to be experiencing. They were the epitome of cool. They were not afraid to be humorous as they led the forefront of a teenage rebellion.

Blink-182 released their self-titled album in 2003, and I was fortunate to buy it, thanks to a gift card. “Blink-182” became the soundtrack of my final year of middle school. I was an eighth grader growing up to the sophisticated sounds of what bassist Mark Hoppus called a “self-meditation on romantic decay,” and I felt smarter for being able to recite that description on cue. No longer did Blink-182 sing of hot dogs and first dates, but instead serenaded the masses with a refined pop-punk sound that was a refreshing surprise to dedicated fans.

The first single released, and the first song on the album, “Feeling This,” sets the tone with its head-banging drums and heart-gripping lyrics. The next two, “Obvious” and “I Miss You,” have a mysterious quality that further reflects the band’s new attitude about love, life, and music. There is a solid meaning and purpose behind every chord, every note, and every word.

Between the fourth and fifth tracks on the album, a letter is read that Mark Hoppus’ grandfather wrote to his wife during World War II. It brings a tear to the listener’s eye as it describes his unconditional love during the most terrible of circumstances. The remaining tracks encourage listeners to take a new outlook and to see life from a new perspective.

Blink-182’s final album (before their “indefinite hiatus”) was released in 2005, and is something that the band can be proud of as an end note to over a decade of success. Its new-age, sophisticated feel is something that will remain revolutionary and proves that a band can stay true to themselves and their music while growing up and growing apart.

This band reinvented themselves for this album, and their efforts are deemed immortal as “Blink-182” will forever play as the background music to many souls who were touched by this legendary band.

Tyler28Janet said...
Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm:
Some time before, I did need to buy a building for my organization but I did not earn enough cash and couldn't buy something. Thank God my dude proposed to get the loans at banks. Thus, I did that and was happy with my secured loan.

callie15 said...
Amazing review! No wonder it got published in the magazine. Keep writing reviews!

CrackaSmacka01 said...
May 13, 2010 at 9:29 am:
These guys are my heroes dude. i wouldnt like music without them.....

Valkyrie_123 said...
Jul. 10, 2009 at 9:49 pm:
GREAT JOB!!!! post more plz..... i love this band so goood i wish i could see them live

Hardinggrl555 said...
Holy S---!!! Your reveiw was awesome I couldnt agree more with...everything!! Great Job!!

Dreaa:D replied...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:38 pm :
Haha wow this article totally describes what I went through too! Last year, my wohle 8th grade year, was pure blink182!! I still listen to them quite often. Absolutely awesome:D