Miss Misery by Elliott Smith | Teen Ink

Miss Misery by Elliott Smith

November 23, 2009
By Anonymous

The Misery of Elliott Smith

When it comes to the music, the lyrics can really make it or break it for me. In some respects they are more important than the tune. And, I had never heard lyrics with so much raw emotion until I heard Elliott Smith’s “Miss Misery.” Like so many of Smith’s songs “Miss Misery” is a haunting tale of failed love and disappointment. One line that is very powerful in the song is straight from the chorus, where he says “Do you miss me, Miss Misery, like you say you do?” The soft guitar accents his voice in a way I can’t describe. His cold raspy voice is one you would recognize anywhere. Even though most of his songs sound similar, each one has it’s own story that seems to dig deeper into his heart. There is no doubt that everything he writes is extremely well thought out and comes from only the richest part of his soul. The music really makes you think about your life and what your priorities are in your future. For example, I wonder how I would handle the same feelings and emotions he is going through in this song. I think I would steer clear of the path he chose to deal with it, his route is alcohol. Getting trapped in alcohol is no way to go through life. What I would hope for are good friends to help me deal with my own Miss Misery.