"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell | Teen Ink

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

By carlymell BRONZE, Tigard, Oregon
carlymell BRONZE, Tigard, Oregon

Just a few decades ago, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell recorded a song titled “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”, that caught radio stations by storm. The upbeat and soulful style of music, along with sweet lyrics that would make any girl swoon, was a craze of 1967 that has continued ever since.

Most would recognize this song as one added to the Grammy Hall of Fame, a piece written by Nikolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson, or as the famous melody that made it as a top twenty hit. However it’s to be known, this magical duet between “The Prince of Motown” and his elegant partner has the strongest of identities. Opening with the vocals of Marvin Gaye and a jazzy background, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” is capable of captivating any audience. Following the lovely introduction, Tammi Terrell’s voice is brought into the upbeat music and a fun love story transpires.

From beginning to end, these two artists sing of a hopeful, never-ending love. With lyrics such as, “Remember the day, I set you free/ I told you you could always count on me, darling” and “I’ll be there when you want me”, anyone who hears this song gets wrapped up in the passion. Whether listeners have been through a circumstance similar to the one portrayed in the lyrics, or just became pleasantly lost in the daydream that they too would have another love them as much, they feel a deeper connection. It’s a perfect love story, filled with dire devotion that is entirely relatable.

This song is a fantastic classic. From the start filled with excitement, the enticing middle, and a terrific fade to a close, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell brought many great attributes to what would become an extremely memorable song. Truly embodying the title of the greatest song ever created, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” will top the charts for ages!