Beirut - March of the Zapotec and Realpeople Holland This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Upon hearing the first track of Beirut's “March of the Zapotec,” one might be taken aback as the cymbals and brass of a Mexican marching band travel from one ear to the next. “March of the Zapotec” is the first part of a double EP released by Ba Da Bing Records.

Band leader Zach Condon's travels to Oaxaca, Mexico, have had an obvious impact on his group's fourth EP. Condon's molasses vocals are supported by everything from accordion to tuba in order to evoke a gypsy feel. The listener is swept into an otherworldly state as Condon shares his experiences in Mexico through his music.

The second part of the double EP, “Realpeople Holland,” contains Condon's solo electronic project. The soothing synth-pop beats offer a refreshing juxtaposition to the heavy and emotional brass in “March of the Zapotec.” Tracks like “Venice” and “No Dice” evoke the feeling of moving slowly underwater in a dreamlike calm, whereas the twinkle of a toy piano and sweet harmonies heard in “The Concubine” outpour a sense of nostalgia.

“March of the Zapotec/Realpeople Holland” offers the perfect escape from the stresses of everyday life.

YellowSushi said...
Great Review! I really Enjoyed reading it mostly because I personally love Beirut but other then that because your review was really well written. :]