Widespread Panic Live | Teen Ink

Widespread Panic Live MAG

By Trey Lloyd BRONZE, Demopolis, Alabama
Trey Lloyd BRONZE, Demopolis, Alabama

Widespread Panic Live at the Wharf in Orange Beach last April was an electrifying experience.

The show opened with a blues-rock jam band called North Mississippi Allstars, who got the crowd moving long before the main event. ­Anticipation grew fierce as showtime neared. The crowd roared as lead singer John Bell walked to the mic and thanked the opening band.

Widespread Panic began with “Send your Mind” as the crowd cheered and began dancing. The first set resembled a roller-coaster ride with mellow songs that jammed into upbeat ones to keep the audience on its toes.

During the second set, the lead singer and guitarist from the North Mississippi Allstars joined Panic for a few songs, including a cover of a Blind Willie Johnson song called “Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burnin'.” With intertwined dueling guitar solos from Luther Dickinson of North Mississippi Allstars and Jimmy Herring of Widespread Panic, this was definitely a remarkable moment.

At the end of the show, as the crowd was leaving, a loud cheer shook the stadium confirming satisfaction.