Kasabian Live at O2 Academy | Teen Ink

Kasabian Live at O2 Academy MAG

By Ayre7 BRONZE, Morpeth, Other
Ayre7 BRONZE, Morpeth, Other

Staring at the dimly lit stage in the O2 Academy, the ­anticipation rushes through my body in a moment of raging ­excitement. This is, after all, my first Kasabian experience.

The stage illuminates, and as the strobe lights begin to work their magic on the packed venue, the pulsating opening of “Vlad the Impaler” blasts out, and the band strides proudly onto the Newcastle stage to cheers that last all night.

Charging into a set that ­includes tracks from their self-titled first album, it seems the Leicestershire boys are in outstanding form as they lift the raucous crowd to their feet. Tracks like “Shoot the Runner” send the crowd into mass sing-along, while “Cut Off” has them dancing in a psychedelic trance.

The true highlight is their new single,” Fire.” Even after the band leaves the stage, the delighted crowd sings its way out of the venue and into the streets of Newcastle.

Looking at Kasabian now, it is hard to believe they were ever grouped with the likes of Oasis as a modern “lad rock” band. One thing is for certain: with shows like this, it is hard to believe Kasabian will ever be grouped again.

My live review of one of todays most popular bands.