My. Chemical. Romance.

My Chemical Romance.

They've suffered through more controversy, been through more hate, and received more love than any other band in existence. With millions of fans proudly declaring that “My Chemical Romance SAVED MY LIFE!!!”and millions more insisting that “My Chemical Romance SUCK,” one must wonder- why? What is it about this band that evokes such strong feelings? To examine this, we must look at the essence of this band. It's music.

Their first debut album, released on July 23, 2002, is entitled “I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love.” It's loud, intense, and rough. With tracks such as “Early Sunsets Over Monroeville,” and “Demolition Lovers,” it's all about the imagery. Staged as a concept album, it pictures two Bonny and Clyde- type lovers, eventually killed in a barrage of gunfire. The next album, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, continues this story. The man, in purgatory, makes a deal with Satan. He redeems his hell-bound lover for the soul of a thousand evil men. Almost every song on this album is different, creating an experience rather than an album. Next comes The Black Parade. It is, by far, the biggest production. It portrays a dying man's journey out of life. It's highly reflective, thought-provoking, and strangely calming. Through these snapshots in time, it's clear how this band has grown, changed, and became the subject of so much obsession.

Now we understand the music, but it's also important to consider the majority of it's fanbase. Their fans are mostly split into two groups- “real” fans, and “liekomghe'ssohawtt!” fans. “likeomghe'ssohawtt!” fans- we're talking 15-25 year old girls, half attracted to the “cool” associated with being depressed, and half attracted to the band's attractive lead singer. Thier “real” fans have stuck with them through every song, ever live performance, and every radio interview. Unfortunately, these people can get obsessive, claiming My Chemical Romance as “theirs,” and instilling a holier-than-thou point of view. Having said this, the majority of the fans are just in the middle, a good combination of obsession and need.

My Chemical Romance. Music, fans, obsession. Understand?

WeAreDisenchanted said...
May 2, 2012 at 9:51 am

I think you did a wonderfull job with this article! I also think that the fans that claim that they like their earlier albums better, and saying that they dont "get" Danger Days, must have never really goten My Chem at all. Honestly, I have loved them scince the very first album and I have never regretted it and its amazing to see just how much their music has grown and changed over the years. I mean, It really is classic MCR. But that's just my opinion.

lol srry 'bout the really long ... (more »)

spirahemmanuelle said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:26 am
this article is aweeesome! I love My Chemical Romance , i have since i was 11 and im 18 now. I've been to 6 shows, and im such a true fan, it's so great to see other people on this site that are also true fans! <3 peace to all

far.from.you. said...
I love my chem! <333

MCRlover2011 said...
I fall into the "They saved my life" and "True blue fan" group. i know ppl who bought pretty much all they're merch ware it all the time and claim oh i'm a fan l love them when all they know are the singles...  I love them and will forever be greatful that they sent the message that had to be sent to save my life, and many others. MCR FTW!

MCRlover2011 replied...
PS great article most ppl don't know about the stories in the alblums^^

Brookiexxcookie said...
i have loved mcr for so long! this is a great article! thanks for showing that there are reall fans out there.

lifeisabeautifullie said...
great article!! i love mcr, they really changed my perspective on life :)

xIEATCHUx replied...
Ahh thank you so much! I totally know what you mean, they are really life changing.

mikesikk said...
Teanagers scare the liv'in _____ out of me!!!

Lila W. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
MCR! whoo!

Jenny L. replied...
xDD
whooooooohooo! :does wayhappy mcr dance:

Cooler1024 said...
This is thr best I have EVER read P.S I love this band

Jenny L. replied...
hahaa
that's so sweet!
and yeah, i totally love them too. -if it's not obvious yet-
^^

sydneyk23 said...
i luv this band!! this is a good peice bout them!!!

Jenny L. replied...
aww, thanks so much!
this band IS seriously amazing.
xD

VexaRave said...
Sept. 5, 2009 at 11:55 am
this article was great! i love MCR-for their music, too, not just for Gerard (although he IS super-hot. XD) thanks for putting this review up. it was really good!! you really described the essence of MCR. ^_^

Jenny L. replied...
vexarave, thanks so much for your nice comment! i'm glad you liked it, and i'm glad i was able to do justice to the band. and you're so right, mcr is simply AMAZING (and the boys ARE reallyreallyhott. [teehee]).

Vexa_Rave replied...
yeah, they all are hot, too.... XD

Jenny L. replied...
hahaa
guilty pleasuree
but frankie is kind of fat now, and bearded
ahh well. he's still cute
:]