Marianas Trench - "Masterpiece Theater" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By , Thorold, Canada
Marianas Trench, a Canadian rock group, released the album “Masterpiece Theater” over a year ago after a two-year wait, despite pressure from fans and their record company, 604 Records. The album features the band's outstanding musicianship, along with poetic and meaningful lyrics. The CD also shows how the band has matured from their debut, “Fix Me.” With this CD they have remained popular without abandoning their powerful rock style, which truly makes this album a masterpiece.

The musical compositions are well crafted, and feature the band's best assets. Lead singer Josh Ramsay uses his large vocal range and upper register to enhance the lyrics as well as musical riffs, though it is guitarist Matt Webb whose impeccable plucking makes these riffs catchy and enjoyable. With drummer Ian Casselman's strong rhythms, and bassist Mike Ayley's fantastic harmonies, the band captures genuine emotions that make their music exceptional.

The lyrics by Ramsay prove him to be an ingenious artist. They go beyond the words on the page, with deep meaning behind them. Even in pop-punk songs like “Celebrity Status,” and “Cross My Heart,” Ramsay manages to create meaningful and powerful messages.

“Masterpiece Theater” has also shown how they have matured since their first album in 2006. “Fix Me” had meaningful lyrics and compelling musicality, but it used profanity to complete its message. On their second album there is no swearing, which perhaps indicates how the band has worked through their insecurities, and no longer relies on dirty lyrics to make songs popular.

In conclusion, “Masterpiece Theater” is a heart-wrenching album for all rock fans. It is spectacular in both lyrical and musical aspects, and shows growth yet consistency.

andromeda13 said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:01 am:
amazing review

MR.AMAZING789 said...
This was an awesome review!! I've listened to a lot of the songs on the album and am seriously considering to buy it.

Alex A. said...
<3 so i think you might have just put my fangirling into articulate words. thank youu :D

zerl1888 said...
May 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm:

I first of all want to thank the writer of this review. He caught my interest and made me look up Marianas Trench and now I happen to really like them.

Then I want to agree with MT fan by saying yes I beleive profanity is used for emphasizing it is not meant to be immature. It shows how strong these emotions are.

abcdefghijklmnop This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
When artist use profane lyrixs they only substantiate how they are incompetent of thinking of another other word. I was disapionted when a talented band stoops to the leveal of medeocracity and generic terminology

MT fan said...
Oct. 19, 2009 at 12:41 am:
i totally don't agree with that paragraph about profanity usage. im not sure if they actually intended to lessen the profanity usage on their second album, and i don't think musical maturity necessitates a reduction in profanity. i think profanity is used to accent certain emotions in the music and is an artistic tool. i think marianas trench has used profanity very tastefully in their music and has used it to only make their music more poignant. i looove shake tramp. and i looove mt. ... (more »)

Christina Car said...
Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:15 pm:
I like the cross my heart song, but I don't know about the rest of their songs

Chris Carf said...
Jul. 26, 2009 at 2:18 pm:
Marianas Trench is my favorite band. They have lyrixs like Super Tramp, and have soild background music. I agree with the article but the conventions could be better.