Jonas Brothers - Lines, Vines, and Trying Times This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

There are those who dislike the Jonas Brothers because of their plastic nature as a band. The first songs from these brothers – “Year 3000” and “S.O.S.” – are criticized for meaningless lyrics that no one can relate to. At first, I did not like them either. Then their self-titled album was released, and I found something in their music that was interesting and different. But I knew they had yet to prove themselves as a credible band.

With the latest album from this Disney pop rock trio, “Lines, Vines, and Trying Times,” the Jonas Brothers have proven they can transition from Disney pop and produce unique music.

Starting with the exciting rock song, “World War III,” the group deviates from their previous music. The song ­establishes them as a growing band that cannot be contained in a plastic pop genre.

There are still those pop songs to intrigue their previous fan base, but there is so much more on this album. The Jonas Brothers are really branching out. They even collaborated with Common in “Don't Charge Me for the Crime,” a truly captivating mix of rock and rap. In my opinion, the song shows that the Jonas Brothers are not afraid to take risks, a key factor in becoming a great band.

To me, the song that pushed this Jonas Brothers' album into the spotlight was “Turn Right.” Unlike their previous ballads (“A Little Bit Longer” or “When You Look Me in the Eyes”), this one actually reaches the heart. They keep it simple with a slow and steady beat. The most memorable factor for me is the touching lyrics people can connect with. It is, in my opinion, their best song.

This album shows the Jonas Brothers' true range and that they have what it takes to be one of the great bands of our time. I don't think they are quite there yet, but they should build off of the ideas they introduced in this album.

Through some unique collaborations and by trying different sounds, they could conceivably become the next U2. As long as they build on it, “Lines, Vines, and Trying Times” could be the Jonas Brothers' gateway to super stardom!

bodyrock said...
i love the jonas brothers omg haha:P

Hope U. said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm:
oh my gosh the jonas brothers ewww

BookOwl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:23 am:
I'm not a big fan of the Jonas Brothers, but hey do have a few good songs such as "LoveBug". But that is about it for me...

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 6:47 pm:
Their latest album is definetly my favorite!

XCLover said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 11:44 pm:
You definitely bring a lot of musical knowledge to this article. I've been a Jonas Brothers fan for a while but I haven't found too many reviews that have this level of musical analysis. I admit, though, that I don't spend much of my time reading their reviews haha.
I think the only song I've actually heard from this album was Paranoid. I really liked it, I think I'll look into more of the songs from the album.
Keep up the good work!

JeanGrey said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 9:39 pm:
I personally don't like them because of the lyrics of many of their songs. Many of their songs are just about girls, whether it is dating them, breaking up with them or making up with them. It always seems that they are "In love". I think for them to really establish themselves as a real band, one that can't be classified as "a plastic pop group" or "a typical boy band", they need to sing about what truly matters. There are more pressing matters in the wor... (more »)

caitlin.calamity said...
I love the Jonas Brothers. I've loved them for a long time. Before they ever made it to Disney. The only album of theirs I did not like was their third. I haven't heard much of "Lines, Vines, and Trying Times," but now that you have given it such a nice review I may have to go listen. And to everyone who HATES the Jonas Brothers, get over it. No one who "hates" them should care enough to read this...

acsys said...
Oct. 27, 2009 at 2:38 am:
wow, do u even know who u2 is??
they're one of the greatest rock bands whose been around for decades. The jonas brothers can't even compare to them!!

Manleader This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 27, 2009 at 10:11 am :
I said that they COULD be the next U2, not that they ARE the next U2. U2 make bold moves in music, they aren't afraid to test different sounds, and I believe that if the Jonas Brothers continue what they're trying to do in this album they could be almost as good as U2.

Manleader This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
For all of those readers who do not appreciate the Jonas Brothers: I respect your opinion, but if you dislike them so much, please give me an actual reason for why you do dislike them. So far, I have not heard one actual reason from anybody other than that they are Disney stars.

Animeartistperson☺ said...
Jonas brothers suck as well does any other disney star......They suck just as much as disney does

Oct. 18, 2009 at 9:45 pm :
Disney is a cornerstone of entertainment and culture in this day and age. If you dislike it so much then why do you waste your time reading about it?

emily.louise said...
I HATE THE JONAS BROTHERS!

reginalove replied...
Oct. 17, 2009 at 9:08 am :
Well I love the Jonas Brothers! It's really childish of you to say that on a review about them without even sqaying why you hate them. If you hate them so much then don't read reviews on them! They're a great band and some people need to respect that.Rude much?