How Music Affects Teens | Teen Ink

How Music Affects Teens

By Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens

Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.

There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.

Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.

People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.

I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.

Tchic said...
on Nov. 16 2012 at 11:05 am
they dont play profanity on air. they actualy have a law that can shut down the station if it is played.

Stella said...
on Nov. 15 2012 at 12:19 pm
WE WANT PICTURES!

Vallerie13 said...
on Nov. 6 2012 at 11:57 am
I listen to the radio to all types of music.

on Nov. 4 2012 at 1:16 pm
WarriorPuella, Denver, Colorado

“The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense.” -Tom Clancy

I listen to the radio, and I listen to stations that don't have any profanity.

on Oct. 16 2012 at 8:39 am
JaceyCrims BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

We all have our personal hells, but it's only when you can find your own heaven you'll make it through.

And it doubled, sorry about that.

on Oct. 16 2012 at 8:38 am

Perhaps if you were to redo this article, you could look into how music while working increased productivity and helps students learn better? It was very nice to read, and I'm big on pretty much any style of music so long as I can find someway to "bond" to it in a sense.

on Oct. 16 2012 at 8:38 am

Music geek said...
on Oct. 9 2012 at 11:27 am
ok so this site is full of opinion.. but i agree. and its not just rap or rock that effect people... country for instance,people will listen to "red solo cup" and drink to there hearts desire b4 the drinking age, bad idea... and on the not of "christion rap" that is true they do do that... like the song "Jesus Freek" but like Fly leaf, artists know what is popular and what will drae atention... Fly leaf is a christion band.. there message is Jesus, but they are considerd Rock... different artists put different messages in different kinds of music to cause an impact in the lives of children.. to bring up emotions. but its mostly just how u view the message. "if your happy, u injoy the music! but, if ur sad/mad, u understand it!" - Anonimis

DF?/// said...
on Oct. 4 2012 at 7:40 am
well i listen to rap and rock yet I go to one of the best schools in America.. Most of my friends here listen to rap and rock as well so your point is invalid. It depends on other factors such as your surroundings..

Taigar said...
on Sep. 24 2012 at 12:10 am
Even if people don't put it on the radio we kids/teens can still hear it. I don't listen to the radio and I never have, and I listen to all types of music. Profanity is common but you can listen to the clean versions if you want, but then I think listening but not using profanity can boost my low self esteem and be more confident about life. What is the best advice? Listen moderately. If you're starting to feel too influenced by the profanity stop listening to it for a while. But its good if you're a really shy and quiet, negative child like me.

Disappointed said...
on Sep. 11 2012 at 2:53 pm
This article disappoints me and it is seems biased. Although two different types of music (rap and rock) were mentioned, only rap was indicated as an contributing factor to teen drug use. What about rock? What subliminal messages are sent through rock music? and their videos? From what I have seen and heard, rock videos do not display angels in heaven.  My husband has listened to rap music all his life as well as his friends, they have never used drugs and they are successful educated law abiding citizens.  As an author it is imperative to remain as impartial as possible.  Again I am very disappointed!

on Sep. 10 2012 at 9:38 pm
Usher's music isn't rap...its pop. And I agree with Cool, rap gets a bad name because artists like Lil Wayne and Mac Miller (ect.) are repetetive, boring, and degrading. There is a lot more to rap than money, women, and cars

.king. SILVER said...
on Sep. 6 2012 at 9:19 am
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

"The music I listen makes.." I think it's meant to be like this "The music I listen To makes..." Anyways nice article

KATE said...
on Jun. 28 2012 at 6:42 am

this article showa da best way hw music effect teenNAGERS THIS HELPED ME A LOT IN MA LYF

on Jun. 16 2012 at 7:28 pm
I listen to r&b music ,hip hop and radio,some songs are not good to listen to,while some are so nice and sweet,so not all songs are negative

Looking.... said...
on Jun. 12 2012 at 6:47 am
Personally I hate pop/rap music. I totally disagree with your statment beacause it is so not true. Most of the 'youngsters' in my area hate that gene of music. 

bluhs said...
on Jun. 10 2012 at 6:22 pm
bluhs, E, Alabama
I listen to the radio. And I was born in 1999.

demon-child said...
on May. 22 2012 at 8:42 am
demon-child, Linden, Michigan

hey thats not cool dude

demon-child said...
on May. 22 2012 at 8:40 am
demon-child, Linden, Michigan

because we like to listen to that stuff

demon-child said...
on May. 22 2012 at 8:39 am
demon-child, Linden, Michigan

true that son