How Music Affects Teens

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens

Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.

There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.

Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.

People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.

I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.

Ailenieluv1517 said...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:35 am
Can anyone tell me when this article was published or written? Like what date?(: Please.  Thanks :D

mitchyy said...
it  kool

imawesome said...
Well On This Website, Its On Teen Ink. But It Doesnt Really Talk About How It Affects Teens.

S.Shaams.Jr said...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 9:00 am
what the hell is this...rap and rock aren't the most heard music genre and almost all rap songs don't include sex and drugs....does this brilliant writer know anything about music!!

blackspidey12 replied...
u are so retared u dont know about music cause some teens can be involved in drugs and sex so yeah stfu cause u dont know anything about music

the-ampersand This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
good points brought up-- maybe dig more into the effect of other genres? rap and rock are widely popular, but as you mentioned-- there are also a lot of other influential genres. well done.

JuneTaz replied...
what the-ampersand said! :D

RuLiZ11 said...
i agree 

JJazzSax said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 12:32 am
I agree with this, because especially with the younger generations because so many kids listen to rap that has bad influences and they begin to start bad habits as they grow.

lol hi said...
hi chynna how are you

hi lol replied...
ANUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Xella714 said...
Studies show that people who are more into rap do drugs one time in their lives. I am pretty sure thats incorrect. Maybe say "are more likely" next time

Muk_1 said...
One question, at what point does personal responsibilty come into the equation?? These kids here lyrics and take this stuff seriously... my personal opinion is that maybe these parents, whos kids are shooting up schools, should maybe pay a little more attention to whats going on their kids' lives, and quit blaming music when theres obviously something much deeper going on there...

Xandra replied...

I agree that there is something deeper going on, but I think that the music often encourages it. In my case, the music seems to make it seem more real and somehow more normal to do that sort of thing. 

So yes, we should tackle the root of the problem, but I would say that the music helps tip the scale in the wrong direction if we don't.

cookiegirl said...
I agree music has an influence on teens, it can change my mood, negative ideas such as drinking has bad influence, I personally like listening to music with deep meanings and nice meanings.  

jazswifty said...
yes music does affect teen however whether the effect is negative or positive depends on the type of music you listen to as you do have a choice you also have a choice in your actions not because you hear a song that talks about someone doing something wrong but fun does not mean that you should do it it all depends on the person and their self control

sophi replied...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 5:11 am
totally agree that music affects a persons mood. I feel that a person should not listen to bad messages all the time, forget about self control. Why would you want to listen to something that has negative ideas that conflict with your beliefs. Its like being on a diet and spending hours a day visiting restaraunts and looking at their menu just for practicing self control, but never actually ordering anything

Jaay_Starr replied...
In my opinion, it's not the music it's self that causes your mood to change, it's how you as a person, with opinions and emotions, interpret the message. A song can have a certain message that the artist is trying to give, but the listener may interpret the song completely different. For instance, A Place Where You Belong by Bullet For My Valentine was originally about how the lead singer's girlfriend left him, but in hearing the lyrics, he makes it seem like she commit sucicide. So the messa... (more »)

Honora S. said...
I listen to a little rap but I am an Alternative girl. Rap objectifies women too much and is all about the same stuff. Why can't people rap about anything! 

Cool replied...
Well there are different types of rap out there.... you're just listening to the wrong rap songs, listen to guys like Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Kanye West (2004,2005, and 2007) and Common.... all positive... so are about girls but most is... well cant ruin the surprise