How Music Affects Teens | Teen Ink

How Music Affects Teens

June 12, 2009
By Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens





Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.



There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.



Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.



A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.



People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.



I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 200 comments.


ElsyM GOLD said...
on Sep. 15 2013 at 2:31 am
ElsyM GOLD, Conway, Arkansas
10 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Carpe diem"

I totally agree. You can basically judge a person's likes and dislikes by the music they listen to, and sometimes their personalities fit in.  I don't like rap that much, but softer rock and pop are my favs, as well as Classical. When someone feels depressed, happy, in love, etc., he/she will listen to certain songs. Feelings affect music, but music also affects feelings. Hearing a song about revenge will make a perfectly happy person recall a bad memory.   It isn't stupid or "mental", it's knowledge. Music should  be used for good, not bad. Just my opinion, but it's like saying that playing violent, bloody video games every day on a three-day weekend isn't going to make you want to react violently when you've seen violence for the past nobody-knows-how-many-hours. 

on Sep. 10 2013 at 6:29 am
very true. But music has an affect on everyone.

darleen8 said...
on Sep. 10 2013 at 6:24 am
What about christian or orher religion rap? It will most likely have nothing to do with that.

melody said...
on Sep. 2 2013 at 9:54 am
FYI During the 1950's and 1960's, many parents believed Rock n Roll contributed to the disintegration of family values and affected the morality of their teens. American teens experienced a drug revolution during the 1960's that continued for several decades. Most popular Rock bands had at least one or two songs that spoke about drugs....if you were experimenting with drugs...you would catch the true meaning of the lyrics. Bands that had references to drugs in their lyrics included such bands as: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and continuing with other famous bands LedZepplin, Jefferson Starship, Black Sabbath, and such. So my friends, RAP musicians are not the first to use lyrics referring to drugs...it's a continuation...and the same holds true for Rock n Roll. The songs of the 1920's had code words in their lyrics to reference liquor...during that time in history liquor was an illegal substance...the prohibition!

max888 said...
on Jul. 29 2013 at 3:35 pm
Im doing a persuasive essay also, the pro on how rock music influences kids

LunaLives GOLD said...
on May. 24 2013 at 2:37 pm
LunaLives GOLD, South Bend, Indiana
17 articles 0 photos 237 comments

Favorite Quote:
Because I can!-Me "Life is a choice and death is a decision"-Lil Wayne

I agree with your comments. I was not particularly happy with this article. And Brian, people think I'm calm all the time because of weed to. Only thats so not true.

pegasister said...
on Apr. 21 2013 at 9:58 pm
certain music only affects people with mental issues

goosepumpkin said...
on Apr. 19 2013 at 2:43 pm
im doing a research paper and my topic is music influence/more or less how american music influences the world with the different types of genres they come up with what other countries as well as there own feel about it and what they might have to say if you have any comments feel free to do so i need some "expert opinions" from people on the outside

mooran said...
on Mar. 25 2013 at 5:43 pm
I agree being a music student we chose who we are not just by music, But I will say rap isn't the greatest inflence on todays teen its all money makeing crap. But also people like Eminem for me puts a middle finger to that which for me as a Lover for punk lover is awsome :)

on Mar. 25 2013 at 3:55 pm
so am i im doing research on music effects on teens or well everybody lolz *-* its goin well :D

on Mar. 20 2013 at 2:02 am
pulledheartstring, San Jose, California
0 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My friend is doing an essay on the negative effects of rap/modern music. Sure, some songs might not affect teens, but they do promote some things that are considered immoral. I also suggest to perhaps list certain songs and use psychological evidence or some sort.

on Mar. 19 2013 at 6:18 pm
allison0115 SILVER, Cranston, Rhode Island
6 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Maybe somewhere I took a wrong turn, but in the end it led me to a great place."

Rap does not affect teens. I listen to rap and I haven't changed. Peer pressure more or less changes us.

Brian said...
on Mar. 9 2013 at 7:43 pm
I agree with you...I listen to every genre of music except country but mostly rap..people think that just because  i listen to wiz khalifa alot i means that i smoke weed  and do all kinds of drugs but every person should  KNOWS RIGHT FROM WRONG ... plus im really chill and calm person so they think that i smoke weed to be calm but i dont.

on Mar. 2 2013 at 5:06 pm
Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia
56 articles 2 photos 148 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is a stage, get on it and perform your best act.

i loved the way u talked about music as a whole in the article. i was kind of confused though; it seems like you jumped from talking about music to the negative affects of rap. it's very important to stay on topic and organized when you write about a subject like this.

Kitty said...
on Jan. 18 2013 at 9:13 am
Umm I believe you are wrong on alot you have said. I mean music does have an impacted on our life but Rap does not make us do drugs. Thats our own choice. And you gave examples off all different kinds of music  but only really talked about Rock. I understand you may like that but when writting and article you need to think and research all of the different types of music not just the one you like.

on Dec. 18 2012 at 1:59 pm
I like this article, but I wish you would have said more about different genres as well. I am a big country fan and a lot of people are. I listen to almost everything, but country mostly. My advice would be to add other genres and their effects.

on Dec. 16 2012 at 7:31 am
DeffreyJahmer, No, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"No big deal, death always went with the territory. See you in Disneyland." Richard Ramirez

I honestly think you should have written a lot more, it's lacking. You write about rap, and seem to be giving the impression that it's bad, but you don't go into anyone else. "Music gives impressions and can influence." Yeah. We know that.

atv512 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 28 2012 at 8:36 pm
atv512 BRONZE, Escondido, California
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Yea music can influence people but it can influence them to do something good like follow thei dreams

Fallen-Angel said...
on Nov. 16 2012 at 5:36 pm
Fallen-Angel, Lamar, Missouri
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Well if I had a gun lying there would you've shot yourself?!" - Big Bang Theory

I am a mega rap fan, I love listening to rap. It always puts me in a better mood. The songs with a lot a bass also helps when I have headaches. I am researching how music affects the brain and students in school for a "Persuasive Essay" for my Language Arts class. I know music helps me, and so I'm writing from that side of the arguement.

karmstrong said...
on Nov. 16 2012 at 1:04 pm
I listen to Alternative and Indie. And satanist music. yum