How Music Affects Teens

By Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens

Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.

There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.

Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.

People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.

I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.

pjbutters said...
on May. 19 2014 at 7:42 pm
me tooo i got how music lyrecs affect people in a good way

Lucas said...
on Apr. 13 2014 at 3:10 am
The articles says studies show that people are more into rap will do drugs one time in their lives. Which "studies"?? , plz provide a link or html for such a statement plz

on Mar. 25 2014 at 10:10 pm
izzy_0314 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Real bands save fans, real fans save bands. -Michael Clifford

I listen to music all the time and have come to find that it brings many benefits to my life and general well-being. I have also found out that making music brings me joy as well. I create songs and remixes and its actually really fun. Just thought I would share that with anyone reading this.

shockbot said...
on Mar. 24 2014 at 8:35 pm
true dat its so true i agree fully  y.o.l.o :D

shockbot said...
on Mar. 24 2014 at 8:30 pm
music is my life. my everyday life includes music.

Agnes said...
on Feb. 26 2014 at 8:23 pm
good website for info abt music

Wabbajack said...
on Feb. 3 2014 at 6:22 am
I'm a teen and I mostly listen to soundtracks. I'm a bit pathetic and I get a little bit teary sometimes when there are nice, quiet parts.

Lena1700 said...
on Dec. 17 2013 at 7:50 pm
When ElsaM mention judging she didn't mean that she's pointing out their flaws she is pionting out that their music type fits with thier actions and personality.... I'm just saying

on Dec. 9 2013 at 10:47 am
MichealMulkey SILVER, Easley, South Carolina

"The thing about music is that, when it hits you, you feel no pain"
-Bob Marley

why is everyone jumping on this rebecca girl? shes just stating her opinion. same as the girl who wrote this article.this, to me isnt considered a review, but it is an opinion and i was glad to read it.

on Dec. 9 2013 at 10:41 am

-Bob Marley

well most rappers now day claim to "fear god" or "follow god" and it sets off a big controversy

jazmin said...
on Nov. 12 2013 at 8:02 pm
musicaffects everyone in anyway possible, it DOES NOT just affect people with mental issues

cartofshame said...
on Nov. 1 2013 at 8:58 am
i agree to because i listen to different music and i like listening to celtic music probably cause i come from a celtic background

Esha123 said...
on Oct. 10 2013 at 6:47 pm
Thats not true if someone likes what they like no one has no right to judge some one lese

Esha123 said...
on Oct. 9 2013 at 4:46 pm
I have the same topic

ElsyM GOLD said...
on Sep. 15 2013 at 2:36 am
ElsyM GOLD, Conway, Arkansas

"Carpe diem"

***** I was being sarcastic about the drinking part, ha ha. I wish country music could be a bit more positive, or just a bit more different than it is now.

ElsyM GOLD said...
on Sep. 15 2013 at 2:34 am
ElsyM GOLD, Conway, Arkansas

"Carpe diem"

I forgot about country! I do like country, but stopped listening to it because so many are about heartbreak and how one guy finds a gorgeous, blonde-haired, blue-eyed Southern Sweetheart who makes him feel proud and good about himself. So many girls DON'T fit this stereotype, so they can start feeling bad about themselves. And hearing three songs in  a row about drinking has affected, nobody, ever. I'm glad you brought this up. :D

ElsyM GOLD said...
on Sep. 15 2013 at 2:31 am
ElsyM GOLD, Conway, Arkansas

"Carpe diem"

I totally agree. You can basically judge a person's likes and dislikes by the music they listen to, and sometimes their personalities fit in.  I don't like rap that much, but softer rock and pop are my favs, as well as Classical. When someone feels depressed, happy, in love, etc., he/she will listen to certain songs. Feelings affect music, but music also affects feelings. Hearing a song about revenge will make a perfectly happy person recall a bad memory.   It isn't stupid or "mental", it's knowledge. Music should  be used for good, not bad. Just my opinion, but it's like saying that playing violent, bloody video games every day on a three-day weekend isn't going to make you want to react violently when you've seen violence for the past nobody-knows-how-many-hours. 

on Sep. 10 2013 at 6:29 am
very true. But music has an affect on everyone.

darleen8 said...
on Sep. 10 2013 at 6:24 am
What about christian or orher religion rap? It will most likely have nothing to do with that.

melody said...
on Sep. 2 2013 at 9:54 am
FYI During the 1950's and 1960's, many parents believed Rock n Roll contributed to the disintegration of family values and affected the morality of their teens. American teens experienced a drug revolution during the 1960's that continued for several decades. Most popular Rock bands had at least one or two songs that spoke about drugs....if you were experimenting with drugs...you would catch the true meaning of the lyrics. Bands that had references to drugs in their lyrics included such bands as: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and continuing with other famous bands LedZepplin, Jefferson Starship, Black Sabbath, and such. So my friends, RAP musicians are not the first to use lyrics referring to drugs...it's a continuation...and the same holds true for Rock n Roll. The songs of the 1920's had code words in their lyrics to reference liquor...during that time in history liquor was an illegal substance...the prohibition!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!