How Music Affects Teens

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens

Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.

There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.

Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.

People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.

I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.

Free Mason said...

like you said some kids are in gang not all.

No kids these days listen to the radio anymore.

Aduke9 replied...
I listen to the radio. And I was born in 1999.

irapeboys-jr. said...
Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:49 am
yes i agree with demon child music just gives me hard on's

demon-child said...
Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:29 am

okay so that is some what true but still that rap music is about people having trouble eith there life and i get hard nipps when i listen to it

demon child said...
Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:20 am

well that is some what true but most times its about that ur family is not the greates to u and u can go to ur friends but most time they go to drugs to help then get addiced to and and i get hard nipps when i listen to rap so yeah

batmangirlxx said...
Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:30 am
i disagree because, not everyone listens to "pop" music. to tell the truth i dont like it. i only like one rapper and i LOVE rock music. i think everyone has a choice in what they like to listen to and it doent have to mean anything if someone likes that type of music than whatever.

MusicLover replied...
Where in this article did they say everyone likes pop and rap music? It mentioned they were popular, but not that everyone likes it. The author was merely pointing out that people who listen to rap are more likely to try drugs due to the emotions tied into rap, it was just a simple fact added in, not "If you listen to rap you're a druggie" or "Every teen is a druggie because every teen listens to rap".

melody replied...
Sept. 2, 2013 at 9:54 am
FYI During the 1950's and 1960's, many parents believed Rock n Roll contributed to the disintegration of family values and affected the morality of their teens. American teens experienced a drug revolution during the 1960's that continued for several decades. Most popular Rock bands had at least one or two songs that spoke about drugs....if you were experimenting with drugs...you would catch the true meaning of the lyrics. Bands that had references to drugs in their lyrics includ... (more »)

dani tri m said...
Great,, music....

MarnieMee50 said...
Well i dont know where your from but rock/pop and rap are two of the most played genre's on the radio that teens listen to. And the author of this article was completely right about them being the most influencing genre's for kids. It's not glory its facts. 

srvntowisetheoriginalyouplagiarizingjerk said...
I don't want to be negative, because you wrote this article well, but your comment that rap usually revolves around sex and drugs is just not accurate. While that is propably true concerning the rap you're most likely to hear on the radio, most rap is actually about self reflection and understanding the world around you.

Matt replied...
I disagree with you. The author is right. At least 75% is sexually or violently orientated.

JennaratorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I am in disagreement with this article. I think the way you wrrote it is a little choppy and could use a better flow. Also, music affects teen, but you didn't go into hardly any detail. Plus, rap and pop, at least where I am from, are two of the most hated genres I know. I don't think it was right to glorify those.

Sarathebutterfly replied...
Agreed!  i think i know what your favorite music is.....

dintandmint This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think that this article is well written, but maybe you should go into more depth about how music affects us. I think that music is perhaps one of the most raw and powerful forms of self-expression. I spend the vast majority of my time with music, whether constantly listening to it, wearing music apparel, talking about music, or creating it. Music is something meant for you to become lost in, truly and movingly fullfilling to everyone involved. No matter what you listen to, so long as you list... (more »)

Kent Luber said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:42 am
Rap and pop music is big with teenagers because it tells everyone what we actually think and only ignorant parents believe that rap and pop music causes violence and other descrempences with teenagers it could be because were going to rebel aganist our parents if they dont let us listen to that kind of music

cheska:) said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:28 am
why is pop music an in thing among the youngster? can any one answer this.thank you:)

Cut-out-ur-eyes replied...
It's called pop for a reason. POPular music. Rap is also pretty popular and thats why pop and rap mix together in a lot of songs

demon-child replied...
May 22, 2012 at 8:40 am

because we like to listen to that stuff

cinnamon345 said...
achoo i sneezed on yo face 

LillYAnnex replied...
Lolxz.. yo es funneh:D