How Music Affects Teens | Teen Ink

How Music Affects Teens

By Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens

Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.

There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.

Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.

A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.

People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.

I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.

ShayBae said...
on May. 8 2015 at 2:26 pm
This is actually true. People listen to metal music or sad/depression music and they think they are "goth" or "emo"

Divina said...
on May. 4 2015 at 10:30 am
This is beautiful! Ilove tis essay

Riley said...
on May. 4 2015 at 10:21 am
Honestly this article is poorly written. Although you do make good points but it is taken away due to your lack of grammar ex. isn't should properly be written as is not. Get your shit together and you'll be fine

afletcher said...
on May. 4 2015 at 10:19 am
Nice job Kiki!! It's very relatable and amazing for your first poem. Don't stop writing. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

R*A*R said...
on May. 4 2015 at 10:10 am
I want someone to tell how to write this type of essays simply.. this subject is very nice

tommy said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 12:03 pm
''When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.'' I think this is true in some cases. However, I think that most commercial rap (and other genres) is just narrowing the view of people listening to it.. They only see those 'gangsters' partying and think that's the life. In my opinion the more underground-like rappers are generally more lyrical. Rappers like Immortal technique, for example, rap lyrics that sets me on thinking, personally. Many people (me included) think music these days is just not what it used to be. John Carney said it in an interview also: onlinemusicshirts.com/john-carney-contemporary-music-junk/

Harpz said...
on Mar. 8 2015 at 9:32 pm
When was this article posted

LadyZ SILVER said...
on Mar. 1 2015 at 7:29 pm
LadyZ SILVER, Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

From the movie adaptation of Going Postal, "The only problem with having a bright tomorrow is getting through the night before."

"Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas." This is a fantastic sentence!

JulianGV said...
on Feb. 22 2015 at 9:27 pm
when was this article posted?

on Feb. 6 2015 at 6:39 pm
NormalDayNightmare GOLD, Caledonia, Other

"Music is free therapy."- Alan Ashby
"I am an adult man. Do not bring me into the tumblr world of relationships."- Aaron Pauley

"Music is free therapy"- Alan Ashby

rania . said...
on Jan. 31 2015 at 9:19 am
Btw miley Cyrus has bad music but i disagree with the taylor swift part

rania . said...
on Jan. 31 2015 at 9:19 am

on Jan. 29 2015 at 4:44 pm
Barrel_Racer123, Az, Arizona

I love my rodeo life :)

I love luke bryans music ....bcause I am country and a rodeo person that's why I loovve him :)

april.com said...
on Jan. 17 2015 at 12:25 pm
april.com, Carluke, Other

"i was going to behave but there were too many other options"

agreed! lol @ashlynn.craig miley cyrus and taylor swift are a disgrace to country music lol

Yatri Sharad said...
on Jan. 13 2015 at 12:15 pm
umm I agree.. im a country boy who lives in cities these days and i especially think electronic and techno musics these days are really making youths dumb..

on Nov. 14 2014 at 1:11 pm
music is life

on Oct. 31 2014 at 4:16 pm
ashlynn.craig, Freeland, Washington
I love music, I personally am a country girl so i think the affect that the whole miley cyrus etc genre is having on teens is crazy dumb. 

on Oct. 21 2014 at 5:17 pm
music is a great way to express your self

Mattieb101 said...
on Oct. 10 2014 at 11:47 am
to me it can be true and false cause some people are like that and some people aint  

on Sep. 16 2014 at 4:12 pm
i love music it makes me so happy