How Music Affects Teens | Teen Ink

How Music Affects Teens

June 12, 2009
By Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
Mariam Saeed SILVER, Smithtown, New York
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The Affect Music Has On Different Teens





Music is something that every person has his or her own specific opinion about. Different people have different taste, and various types of music have many ways of leaving an impact on someone. It can be relaxing, angering, soothing, energizing, and many more.



There are so many types of music out there today. Rap, pop, rock, country, indie, alternative, hardcore are some of the abundant types in the world. Music sends out either good or bad messages that have big impacts on how people act. People usually become friends with others who have a same taste in music as the rest of the people they hangout with, or it can be vice versa. People may not want to associate with people who have different tastes in music because they’ll argue about what they think is better but its just their own opinions.



Rap and Rock music are two very important types of music in the world. They both send out different messages and help kids. The lyrics sung or rapped by the artists can be things going on in their own personal lives, and people with the same types of problems can listen to them so they know theirs hope and theirs people like this out there in the world. Music can also serve as a catalyst for new ideas. When people listen to the new things out there, they learn different things going on in the world and they become more open-minded because they’re exposed to different people like the artists.



A lot of people come to the conclusion that rap music has a very big impact on the world. Listening to the lyrics, they usually revolve around sex and drugs and those are topics many parents don’t want their kids being involved in. Many of the music videos made by rap artists in the world show these topics in them. Studies show that people who are more into rap music do drugs one time in their lives.



People can use music to express themselves, in ways it can’t be expressed through behavior, or art. You can usually tell how someone’s feeling by the type of music he or she is listening to at the time. It’s a tool used by many. Groups of people around the world can come together and gather at concerts, shows, and venues to show what their interests and likings are and you see how many people have similar likings as you.



I can personally relate to the effects that music has on its listeners and users because it’s a big part of my life. Every day I listen to the words and sounds of different singers/bands with contrasting ideas and opinions. The music I listen makes me who I am.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 200 comments.


on May. 30 2023 at 10:42 am
miraculouslyHis27 BRONZE, Haymarket, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Pray consistently," 1 Thessalonians 5:17

Great article! I do think that people using drugs isn't majorly effected by music, but it is something that concerns me in music.

molewis05 said...
on Nov. 30 2020 at 10:53 am
molewis05, Pawtucket, Rhode Island
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I agree with the statement about how after a decade, this data is still valid and also how frustrating it is that parents do not understand how music has an impact on our lives.

Chantal2021 said...
on Oct. 21 2020 at 8:11 pm
Chantal2021, Ewing, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 17 comments
I agree with most of my friends and I share music taste with a similar artist. This piece is very relatable. Teens today on tik to love music so much they make dances, skits, and blowing up new music artists on the platform. We crave a good song.

on Oct. 9 2018 at 11:22 am
EHRollTide SILVER, Madeira, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
--Paul McCartney, "The End"

I can’t say that I agree with every generalization made here, but this provides a really interesting perspective. I love music and music history, so I found this really interesting.

on Apr. 27 2018 at 11:50 am
MacKenzieGraham BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
This is so good! I love music and agree with many things in this piece!

on Feb. 28 2018 at 12:36 pm
NotGonnaSay GOLD, Richland, Oregon
14 articles 1 photo 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I live for glitter, not you." - Mika

I disagree on one thing, me and my best friend have completely different tastes in music, she likes old country (Reba, Dolly, Meryl) and I like just about anything punk rock.(No 5sos) It's what makes us close, we're diverse. We speak a different language when it comes to music but it's each other's differences that keep us together. Great article!

on Dec. 23 2017 at 8:22 pm
a_hadley22 BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
See, I don't think the rap/ drugs thing is a coincidence- I'm in high school, where rap is HUGE, and the lyrics all talk about how good drugs feel and the happiness of being high. Add that to peer pressure, and yeah, I think rap music could be a contender to wanting to do drugs. Me, I hate rap music, and I've never done drugs, so. . . I'm just saying.

This was a really cool. But I love my Nick Jonas!!

RRicks9 SILVER said...
on May. 5 2017 at 2:33 am
RRicks9 SILVER, Tirana, Other
6 articles 0 photos 11 comments
This was a really cool. But I love my Nick Jonas!!!!

on Feb. 14 2017 at 12:51 pm
BennyBoy42 SILVER, Tirana, Other
7 articles 0 photos 9 comments
Finally, someone I agree with. I don't really get why the profanity is such a big problem. I do think that the profanity used in most rap songs these days has no significance, and is just used to look "cool" or "tough". That is just stupid and unnecessary. And many of those songs talk about things of no significance or relevance, which is also stupid. And I don't think it's the rap songs that make so many teens use explicit language all the time for no reason, but it's because of their education.

on Feb. 14 2017 at 12:23 pm
BennyBoy42 SILVER, Tirana, Other
7 articles 0 photos 9 comments
1. Make sure to edit your work before publishing it... You should've said "The Effect Music Has On Different Teens", not "The Affect Music Has On Different Teens" 2. The study you talk about says that most people that listen to rap do drugs as well. But it don't think that they do drugs because of the rap. It's just that people that do drugs mostly listen to rap. 3. I agree with the other parts, but this article is more about how music affects us, not only teens. 4. I don't really get how this article got so famous. Even though you're mostly right with what you say, you're stating the obvious. The least you could do is explain why music affects us in this way. But you don't do that, and only state the obvious. Sorry for the negativity. It's just my opinion, and I could be totally wrong with what I say.

on Dec. 8 2016 at 1:36 pm
John007Niuvao, Sacramento, California
0 articles 0 photos 10 comments
I agree, in society today people usually listen to the same type of music in order to just "fit" in.

on Oct. 30 2016 at 11:15 am
victoria_kapusta PLATINUM, Ridgewood, New York
20 articles 0 photos 7 comments
I agree, in society today people usually listen to the same type of music in order to "fit" in.

ThatGirl233 said...
on Oct. 11 2016 at 1:30 pm
I totally agree with this article! I do think that everyone has a different taste in music. God did make us us different from one another so there is no way on Earth that everyone has the same taste in music. I like pop and rock, my dad just likes rock, my mom just likes pop, my friend likes Christian rap, and my other friend like gospel. Each type of music does create a different response on different people too.

Han_ said...
on Aug. 24 2016 at 9:36 am
I agree with this article! I think that many people out there try to find their friends that have same taste about music genre. Because they can share each other about new music, and singer or band. It can make them be more closer and relax or easy in doing sonething together.

Han_ said...
on Aug. 24 2016 at 9:36 am
I agree with this article! I think that many people out there try to find their friends that have same taste about music genre. Because they can share each other about new music, and singer or band. It can make them be more closer and relax or easy in doing sonething together.

Callista. said...
on Aug. 24 2016 at 7:24 am
I agree with this article. Some people gonna get conducive relation or more attractive if they like same music genre . They'll share each other maybe about new music, band, and singer. certainly on matters relating to the similarity of the genre they like.

on Aug. 24 2016 at 12:39 am
literally me when i'm sad,the song that i listened is for someone that broke my heart. Its like i found the piece of him in every song i listen to

manofmirrah said...
on Apr. 21 2016 at 10:54 am
manofmirrah,
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
this is going to sound weird to people i only listen to instrumental music i feel an artist can convey more emotion with simply the music alone PS love the article

j2250 DIAMOND said...
on Apr. 9 2016 at 1:51 pm
j2250 DIAMOND, North Andover, Massachusetts
74 articles 9 photos 37 comments
Building off your fourth paragraph- While rap music does tend to harbor explicit language and sexual themes, it isn't something that we should censor and it certainly isn't something that leads directly to drugs. Yes, it's profane, but it's up to the listener to decipher if the words are appropriate to use in an everyday context. Usually people are intelligent enough to do so.