Enslaved - Vertebrae This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Norway isn't exactly ­famous for its music, but fans of modern progressive metal and black metal know better. It may be a shock to many that this country's biggest cultural export is most likely its black metal scene, which has resulted in the birth of many bands including Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, and Satyricon. Opeth, a group whose high-quality psychedelic albums are modern epics reminiscent of a gothic King Crimson or Pink Floyd, may eventually become the world leader in prog rock. ­Enslaved has found a comfortable place between these two worlds on its newest offering, “Vertebrae.”

The album starts off with the track “Clouds,” a song that builds from a spacey riff and reaches its titular destination with Pink Floyd-esque vocals and the harsh croak of lead singer Grutle Kjellson. “Ground” has a classic rock feel to its riffs, an atmospheric, jazzy guitar solo courtesy of Ice Dale, and emotion to add to its black metal majesty.

Other highlights include “New Dawn,” a confrontational, powerful track, and “The Watcher,” which features a quick buildup to some of the most emotional moments of the album (“Did I sacrifice in vain?”).

Surprisingly mellow, “Vertebrae” is a mature and unpredictable black metal opus that is at once as modern as the murmuring samples throughout and as ancient as the gods that Enslaved have been screaming for in the icy regions of their homeland. An album this well crafted is something Norway should be proud of, something it can add to its rich cultural heritage.

@envyeconomy said...
Oct. 10, 2009 at 8:06 am
Enslaved is a prime example of a band that did everything right through the path of their career and keep experimenting with their music so that each record is like a chapter, unique in itself. Everyone should own this record and if not all of Enslaved Records. Enslaved is a band you know will never disappoint, they simply can't.

theheavymetalistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 30, 2015 at 10:27 am
I agree. Sadly I have none of their records, but from the album "Vikingligr Veldi" I can say I'm not disappointed.

Jan. 30, 2015 at 10:28 am
Also my favorite Norwegian Black Metal band would likely always be Emperor because it has Ihsahn and prog Black Metal.

zigomir said...
Oct. 10, 2009 at 6:17 am
Opeth aren't from Norway...though Vertebrae is very good album.

@envyeconomy replied...
Oct. 10, 2009 at 8:10 am
They didn't say Opeth is from Norway, they comparing their musically progression. I can see where you can't make a mistake their is . then Opeth,

Opeth was actually influenced by the Norwegian Black Metal scene, especially bands like Emperor and Enslaved. In fact, Orchid and Morningrise are considered progressive BLACK Metal albums, then everything else was Progressive Metal.