Stories Told in Sufjan Stevens’ Illinois: A Regional Encyclopedia, A Vivid Picture of the US | Teen Ink

Stories Told in Sufjan Stevens’ Illinois: A Regional Encyclopedia, A Vivid Picture of the US

By LFY BRONZE, Beijing, Other
LFY BRONZE, Beijing, Other

Coming out of Michigan, Sufjan Stevens is arguably one of the most dedicated and talented composers in the baroque pop genre or even in the entire indie music scene in the 21st century. He emerged with his first album, A Sun Came, in 2000 and an electronic concept album, Enjoy Your Rabbit, in 2001, in which he demonstrated his incredible ability to handle as much as a variety of over 15 different instruments in these albums. Since then, he continuously dug himself into music composing, creating a huge amount of expressive works and masterpieces under various genres. To date, he has released 10 studio albums in 22 years, among them Grammy nominations and high-rated albums – The Age of Adz in 2010, Carrie and Lowell in 2015, Michigan in 2003, and, of course, Illinois in 2005.

Illinois, or Illinoise, is part of Sufjan Stevens’ “The Fifty States Project”, which originated from Sufjan’s wild idea of creating an album for every state in the US. Although the project didn’t carry on through the years for Sufjan, other artists managed to answer his call and composed several pieces related to stories of the states.

Now let’s take our focus back to Illinois. This album was a breakthrough album for Sufjan, earning him countless awards and a notable reputation. It was selected as the best album of 2005 by music critic websites like Pitchfork and Metacritic, while Sufjan received the album of the year of The 2006 PLUG Independent Music Awards as well as the Pantheon Prize of 2005. Hence, in various senses, this album really brought Sufjan into a bigger picture, the major indie music scene.

In terms of music, this album is extremely well-arranged and consistent. What’s more remarkable about this album are the subjects discussed in the lyrics. In the album, Sufjan discusses various events and stories that happened in Illinois and used those events to reflect on himself, his environment, as well as things he went through. These stories are either hinted at in the titles of the songs or hidden among the lyrics of the songs. This article analyzes these references to Illinois and their relationship with Sufjan’s characteristics, as illustrated in the album.

Track 1. Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois

“When the revenant came down / We couldn't imagine what it was / In the spirit of three stars / the alien thing that took its form”

The song’s beautiful lyrics depict scenes from Sufjan’s imagination of the UFO sightings.

According to the National UFO Reporting Center, more than 2700 UFOs have been spotted in Illinois. The Tinley Park Lights of 2004 and the mysterious disk above the O’Hare Airport of 2006 are perhaps the most famous ones.

Track 2. The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!

What a long title with rich implications.

The Black Hawk War happened between the United States and the Native Americans during the 19th century. After the leader of the Native Americans, the “Black Hawk”, led his men across the Mississippi River and into the state of Illinois, the war began. It took about four months until the “Black Hawk” himself got caught and was sent to prison. The Black Hawk War quelled the last Indian resistance to white settlement in the Old Northwest.

Other parts in this title refer to Sufjan’s dark sarcasm toward the invaders (“Demolish an entire civilization / We Apologize for the Inconvenience”) and his praise of the resistant force (“Will Continue to Fight Them”).

The song itself is an instrumental piece, emphasizing the triumphant atmosphere of the epic battle by using strings and horns.

Track 3. Come On! Feel the Illinoise! (Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition – Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)

The World’s Columbian Exposition was held in Chicago in 1893 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus’ arrival to the New World. Despite several tragedies that happened at the end of the event, the World’s Columbian Exposition was a successful exhibition, showcasing the best of the American culture back in the day. It was incredibly uplifting and influential at its time, as it inspired the spirits of over 20 million people who attended it.

The first part of the song is filled with details about the exposition – the World’s first Ferris Wheel, the World’s first wheat of cream, duplicated hieroglyphic, and the Midway Amusement. Other notable lines include: 1. “Cannot conversations cull united nations” reflecting on the wars of the 20th century in contrast to this exposition that was meant to bring peace and unite nations; 2. “Chicago in the New Age but what would Frank Lloyd Wright say” referring to the great architect Frank Lloyd Wright and reflecting the uncreative style of the exposition.

Carl Sandburg was a poet and biographer born in Galesburg, Illinois. He emerged with the poem <Chicago> and five other poems published in the Chicago journal Poetry: A Magazine of Verse in 1914. Later, he carried on writing poems about Chicago and ended up publishing his first collection of poetry, <Chicago Poems>.

In the second part of the song, Sufjan turns slightly personal. The lyrics describe his conversation with Carl in his dream, implicating Sufjan’s inner-self that tells him to write music that is true to his heart. Carl can be seen as either Sufjan’s imaginary-best-friend figure or Sufjan’s inner-self, depending on one’s personal understanding.

Track 4. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.

John Wayne Gacy was a serial killer who assaulted and murdered at least 30 young men and boys. However, for a period of time, he was a respected figure among his neighbors and even police officers, as he attended church and hosted parties in his neighborhood. Taking advantage of his reputation, he began to rape and murder young men, primarily workers that worked for him. By the time he was arrested, he had murdered 33 people, 29 of whom were found underneath Gacy’s house. In 1994, John Wayne Gacy was executed by lethal injection.

Sufjan mainly describes Gacy’s behavior in the song by writing vivid depictions in the lyrics and presenting a melancholy melody. However, in the last few lines, he explored himself deeply – “And in my best behavior / I am really just like him / Look beneath the floorboards / For the secrets I have hid”. The floorboards here don’t only refer to the floor under which Gacy hid the bodies of the young men he murdered, but also everyone’s, including Sufjan’s hidden sinister thoughts.

Track 5. Jacksonville

Jacksonville is a town located in the state of Illinois. The first men, whose names are recorded and remembered in this area, had been soldiers in the recent War of 1812, in which General Andrew Jackson of Tennessee became famous for his win at the Battle of New Orleans. Many towns became “Jacksonvilles” in the early 1800s.

During the 19th century, slaves fled from the South to other liberal states. Jacksonville was one of the states that acted as a springboard to other liberal states for slaves, mainly African Americans. In the song, many lyrics contain elements that emphasize this theme, for instance, “I’m not afraid of the black men running / He’s got it right he’s got a better life coming”. Moreover, the song takes on a higher perspective by discussing events such as the Dewey Day Parade and the book <Canner Row>, which both reflect the ups and downs in American history.

Track 6. A short reprise for Mary Todd, who went insane, but for very good reasons

This short piece describes Mary Todd, the wife of Abraham Lincoln. In her later life, she suffered several mental illnesses, including depression, resulting from various deaths of her husband and sons. She was by the side of her husband when Abraham was assassinated. Among four of her sons, three of them died under her witness. Illinois was her home state.

Track 7. Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step-Mother!

Decatur is a city situated along the Sangamon River and Lake Decatur in Central Illinois. The city was the first home of Abraham Lincoln, who settled his family there in the 1830s. It was also the birthplace of senator Stephen A. Douglas. He and Abraham, both of whom are mentioned in the lyrics of Decatur, were nominees for the 1860 presidential election.

The song itself is really catchy for its rhyming of “Decatur, alligator, aviator, emancipator, her”. However, what role the “stepmother” plays in this story is somewhat confusing. One possible explanation proposes that it’s just Sufjan’s own experiences rather than a reference to Illinois, drawn from the claim that indie music expresses private emotions.

Track 8. One Last “Woo-hoo!” for the Pullman

Pullman is an area located in Southern Chicago. The town is named after George Pullman, an entrepreneur who purchased the land in the 1870s to expand his operation in the business of luxurious rail car building as well as to create a nice residential area. However, he set strict restrictions on the workers he employed. The economic recession in April 1894 exacerbated the tension between Pullman and the workers. As a result, in May 1894, several violent conflicts occurred in Pullman, and dozens were killed. The conflicts end with the arrival of governmental troops.

This event led to a national debate about workers’ rights and the proper relationship between employer and labor.

Track 9. Chicago

Despite all the regional elements discussed in the previous songs, this song, Chicago, is just a pure collection of private emotions. No hidden references, no grandeur historical stories… Just a man, singing for the sense of freedom and joy during road trips. Such an ironical contradiction to what this massive title implies.

Perhaps this minimalist idea of “returning to simplicity” in theme-building is why this song become one of the most popular songs of Sufjan.

Track 10. Casimir Pulaski Day

Casimir Pulaski Day is a legal holiday in Illinois. It celebrates the birthday of Pulaski, a Polish-born soldier who made a significant contribution to American independence. The day is celebrated annually on the first Monday of March.

In the song, Sufjan tells the story of the death of an intimate friend of his on this day. This storyline is deducted through lyrics like “In the morning when you finally go / And the nurse runs in with her head hung low” and “In the morning in the winter shade / On the first of March, on the holiday / I thought I saw you breathing”.

Track 11. To The Workers of The Rock River Valley Region, I have an idea concerning your predicament, and it involves an inner tube, bath mats, and 21 able-bodied men

The Rock River Valley is a region in Northern Illinois. The area was known for manufacturing and industry. It has since fallen on hard times, and many parts of the area have experienced unemployment and economic recession.

The meaning of the other items listed in the title remains unknown.

Track 12. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts

Metropolis is actually the name of a city in the state of Illinois. The place is known as the hometown of Superman, as Superman claims that Metropolis is his hometown in the comics. Hence, lyrics like “Man of steel / Man of heart” and “Only a steel man can be a lover / If he had hands to tremble all over” probably refer to the superman obsession in Metropolis.

Track 13. Prairie Fire That Wanders About

A lot of references in this song imply various cultural features and the history of the city of Peoria in Illinois.

“Lydia” refers to Lydia Moss Bradley, a female activist and a businesswoman. She was the founder of Bradley University in Peoria. Besides the university, she also built the St. Francis Medical Center located in downstate Illinois and the Bradley Home for Aged Women to care for widowed and childless women. In a word, she was a great contributor to the city.

“The cubs” stands for the Peoria Cubs, now known as the Peoria Chiefs, and is a Minor League baseball team. The team changed its name from Cubs to Chiefs in 2012, seven years after Illinois was released.

“Santa Clause” and “The Great Parade” both refer to the Santa Claus Parade, a local event in Peoria. The event features mostly parade elements combined with Santa Claus elements. It is claimed as the longest-running holiday parade in the country, with the 134th event being held last year.

Track 14. A conjunction of drones simulating the way in which Sufjan Stevens has an existential crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze

The Great Godfrey Maze is an attraction in Godfrey, Illinois. It’s a corn maze site especially suitable for family vacations.

Track 15. The Predatory Wasp of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us

Numerous discussions on the meaning of this song have been proposed and resulted in two major interpretations.

The first one is related to Sufjan’s homosexual-like experience. It has been revealed that Sufjan has, or, at least, had a homosexual approach. The predatory wasp in this song, then, is claimed to be a fictional creature invented by Sufjan and his friend during a summer camp. In the lyrics, we can see that the protagonist (Sufjan) is reminded of some intimate experiences he had with his friend.

The second explanation is based on the perspective of childhood innocence. It is said that Sufjan and his brother saw a wasp-like monster creature during a summer camp they went to around the age of 8. Hence, the wasp reminds the protagonist in the song about the memory he has about his brother.

Both the interpretations can be true in terms of personal understanding.

Track 16. They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhh!

Various places and people related to Illinois are featured in this song.

The people include John A. Logan, Grant, and Ronald Reagan, both of whom are celebrities from Illinois. The places include Centerville, Lemmon, Sailor Springs, Caledonia, Magnolia, etc. They are either tiny population centers or ghost towns in Illinois. From my perspective, this massive contrast between the known and the unknown, the remembered and the forgotten, emphasizes Sufjan’s ideas concerning time and memories. In addition, this song is also a monument for the ghost towns.

Track 17. Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All The Way Out In Bushnell

Bushnell, Illinois, was where the Cornerstone Festival was held annually. The festival mainly featured Christian art and music ever since its debut in 1984. The festival came to an end in 2012, seven years after the release of Illinois.

Track 18. In This Temple, as in the Hearts of Man, for Whom He Saved the Earth

The title of this short piece refers to the epitaph above the statue of Lincoln: “IN THIS TEMPLE AS IN THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE FOR WHOM HE SAVED THE UNION THE MEMORY OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN IS ENSHRINED FOREVER.”

Track 19. The Seer’s Tower

“The Seer” stands for Joseph Smith, a prophet who published the Book of Mormon and introduced the Mormon Church. It is told that he used the famous “seer stones” to perceive messages from the spiritual world. He and his followers built two temples in Illinois before being hunted down by the anti-Mormon forces. In 1844, Joseph Smith was killed.

In addition, the Seer’s Tower sounds almost identical as the Sears Tower, now known as the Willis Tower, located in Chicago, making the title a pun.

Track 20. The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part 1: The Great Frontier; Part 2: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now)

This song pays tribute to the history of Illinois, as shown in the title and the last part of the lyrics.

In the title, “the broadest shoulders” is very likely describing Chicago, also known as “the city with broad shoulders”.

The latter lyrics start off with “great fire of great disaster”, referring to the Chicago Fire in 1871. Next, Sufjan discusses “the great goat” which carries a story about the Cubs - they were cursed to lose in the postseason because they didn’t let the owner of the Billygoat Tavern bring his goat to a game. In addition, the line “Great River green with envy” emphasizes that the Chicago River is dyed green each year for St. Patrick’s Day, and the city is always envious of New York.

Sufjan also lists some people. Jane Addams, referred to in the lyrics, was a Nobel Peace Prize winner who built the Hull House south of the loop in the 19th century to educate and train immigrants and the poor. Joe Jackson represents the Shoeless Joe Jackson of the 1919 World Series scandal. Last but not least, “Great Goodman” stands for Benny Goodman, a jazz clarinetist known as the “King of Swing”.

Track 21. Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few

This short instrumental piece pays tribute to a few of the greatest Jazz-players: jazz pianists Jelly Roll Morton and Earl Hines, jazz trumpeter Louis Armstrong, jazz drummer Baby Dodds, and jazz clarinetist Benny Goodman.

Track 22. Out of Egypt, Into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run

This is the last track of the album. For this song, hidden religious references are found in the title.

“Out of Egypt” is a common Jewish reference to the Exodus and God’s salvation - by His own power bringing His people out of slavery and oppression. In addition, Southern Illinois is nicknamed “Little Egypt”. “The Great Laugh of Mankind” can be interpreted in many ways. I tend to believe that it stands for all the criticism and praise of humanity. As for “I Shake the Dirt from My Scandals”, it is possibly a reference to “shake the dust off your feet” from Mark 6:11 or Matthew 10:14 of the Holy Bible.

Together, these twenty-two pieces form the whole album of Illinois, a local history book and a personal memoir sang through the serene voice of Sufjan Stevens. 

The way Sufjan embedded his own experience and sensations in this regional encyclopedia-like album is what fascinated me. These elements inspired me to write this article analyzing the cultural references in this amazying album.