“Mine on the Street” | Teen Ink

“Mine on the Street”

By Bobston SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Bobston SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

“Mine on the Street'' was released August 12, 2021 by Lush Crayon. The musician’s music falls under the musical genre of Vaporwave, and “Mine on the Street'' would fall under it too. Lush Crayon is a more obscure artist that lies in the depths of the internet, particularly in the vaporwave circles of the internet. Vaporwave is usually identified by its big reverbs, slowed and pitched down samples, nostalgic sound, and lo-fi drums. The vaporwave genre is supposed to transport you to a new realm of the past, maybe even an empty mall. While most Vaporwave songs feature disco, pop, and city pop samples, “Mine on the Street” samples lots of ballad sounding, guitar-heavy songs. Like most vaporwave, most of the tracks on this album don’t focus on the sampled singing and rather the instrumentation and electronic effects. Guitar in vaporwave is not usual, but Lush Crayon does a good job maintaining the ethereal feel that vaporwave is known for. 

It’s a different take on the genre that is interesting. Every track on this album has a strong feeling of movement, as if some big obstacle was overcome or is about to commence.

For example, the song “Skyscanner” has a strong feel of movement with its steady bass synth part and uneasy melody that keeps going throughout the song. On the flip side, “Holding Hands in London” keeps the movement feel with its warm guitar chords and crispy drumline that holds your hand throughout the song. I imagine much of the music to be something that could work over a montage in an old 80s or 90s movie, but could also work for a credits scene. It feels blue and entirely warm, almost heavenly as the album art portrays. 

Overall, “Mine on the Street” is an easy to listen to album that is perfect to put on in the background or to transport you to a new dimension. Those who love the distorted and clean sounds of the electric guitar will feel content. Those who love the endless space conveyed in vaporwave will be attracted to the thick atmospheric reverb. Definitely an underrated album that draws two unlikely elements together to create a new realm within the vaporwave vibes.

I am Boston and I like electronic music