The Fray - The Fray | Teen Ink

The Fray - The Fray MAG

April 30, 2009
By Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments

The Fray's self-titled album is a fantastic blend of pop and rock music that grabs listeners and throws them into a whirlwind of rock tempos and deep lyrics.

When I first picked it up, I felt like putting it back. The cover art had a dark feel. But after I put it in my car stereo, my opinion changed. Within the first 30 seconds of the song “Syndicate,” my foot was tapping and my fingers itching to turn up the volume.

All these songs have a lot of meaning to them. After ­listening to “Happiness,” I paused it for a few minutes and thought about what it meant. I had a similar reaction to “You Found Me.” These songs have several hidden messages. Some could incorporate them with their religion and others may relate them to a relationship.

Another reason I fell in love with this album was that it ­wasn't all “rainbows and butterflies.” Most pop music is about falling in love or having a crush. The Fray's album is different and you can find deep meaning in each song.

Faster, more hard-rock songs (“Syndicate,” “Enough For Now,” and “You Found Me”) balance perfectly with slower songs (“Happiness,” “Never Say Never”).

Even if you aren't a fan of pop or rock, this album is a good buy. As you listen, the songs form meaning and stay rooted in your mind. The ­amazing vocals, strong messages, and stellar music are worth listening to.