Migos Music Review | Teen Ink

Migos Music Review

June 7, 2019
By cnavarro2021 GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
cnavarro2021 GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."


On January 26, 2018, Migos dropped the refine album that brought something highly-recommended to the hip-hop culture. Culture II was nominated for the BET Hip Hop Award for Best Album of the Year and BET Award for Album of the Year, and it debuted at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart a year ago. The album features artists like 21 Savage, Drake, Gucci Mane, Travis Scott, Ty Dolla $ign, Big Sean, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Post Malone, and 2 Chainz. The Migos mixed trap music and hip-hop music with unique, trailblazing lyrics; popular songs like “Stir Fry” and “Walk it Talk it” made the album so outstanding in terms of popularity of the whole entire album.


The album was released with just one cover; the cover symbolizes white roses, which is in a form of the number two because it refers to the album title: Culture II.  The dove is the symbolic symbol for Venus, and the white rose was used by the House of York in the “War of the Roses.” The goddess is worshipped due to the powers of sex magick. The birds are like a religious symbol when they are next to the flowers, and the red background color is evil being taken away for good. The doves are praising the Migos when they are standing up like they are ready for anything.


Track one, and the introduction to the album is entitled “Higher We Go (Intro).” The first song was rhythmic—the song got the album to a fantastic start. It talks about culture and the Migos sings these lyrics like: “Higher we go, beg and plead for the culture.” This song may be the introduction of this album, but they have done a good job with the choice of lyrics like: “I'ma put the gang on your plate (gimme the plate, ayy) You can't eat on my plate (no eatin') Mount it up like the horse on 'Rari's (yeah, skrrt, ayy).”


When we work hard for something, anything is possible for us to earn it. On “Work Hard”, the Migos raps, “Mama ain't really have a good job (let's have a field day) But now she ain't never gotta have no job (no way, no way, no way) 'Cause I work hard for mine yeah (work hard) Work hard (work) 'Cause I work hard for mine.” These are well-rounded lyrics because, in reality, we work hard for something, and it seems shady for them to say that Mama ain’t never going to have no job because she can work for one, but it just shows that we can work hard for better opportunities in life.

Amid the luxury that we may have in “Too Much Jewelry”, the Migos talks about jewelry: “I just spent a cool half a ticket on my jewelry Clear white diamonds make your eyesight blurry Excuse me I have on too much jewelry (skrt skrt) Never too much, never too much, so much.” Based on the cover art, they have a lot of jewelry like necklaces, chains, and others that are made out of rich gold.

On “Stir Fly”, the Migos said, “Dance with my dogs in the nighttime (wroof) Trap ni*** with the chickens like Popeye's (Popeye's) Money changin' colors like tie-dye (tie-dye) I'm just tryna get it, I ain't tryna die (whoa) She got a big ol' onion booty, make the world cry (cry) In the kitchen, wrist twistin' like a stir fry (whip it).” This is referred to culture because it talks about Popeye’s, and I love the usage of stir fly to compare to wrist twistin’. The track is like a high-paced rollercoaster because the song is very quick, and it never slows down.


The best aspect of the album is how the Migos came up with definitive lyrics and makes the beat very dazzling when we hear all of their 24 songs. The track entitled “Stir Fry” is one of the thrilling rap tracks I’ve ever heard by the Migos. It appeared on Billboard’s Hot 100 for 21 weeks, and its peak position was #8. The 5 best tracks of this album are: “Stir Fry”, “Walk it Talk it,” “Work Hard”, “Too Much Jewelry”, and “Beast”.


When I compare this album to the first album: Culture 1, Culture II has more cleverly-written lyrics and tracks than Culture I. In Culture 1, it only has one popular song: “Bad and Boujee.” In Culture II, it has more featured artists that make the tracks so highly-recommended because they are featured in those tracks. The combination of brilliant songs and refined superb production make for a very strong album. This album is like a freestyle rap battle because they rap like true rappers; they are changing this iconic rap culture.