5 Seconds of Summer: Youngblood | Teen Ink

5 Seconds of Summer: Youngblood

March 1, 2019
By meganwilson BRONZE, Naches, Washington
meganwilson BRONZE, Naches, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments


5 Seconds of Summer has done it again. Their third studio album Youngblood is a hit. The album is different to anything we’ve ever seen 5SOS do. I hope the band keeps going in this direction, because it’s amazing. This is their third album to reach Number One on the Billboard 200 charts. They also got an ARIA for the album. The album reached gold in Canada. 5 Seconds of Summer is a band that loves to change their style up and grow. Each album is different to the one before. After coming back in June of 2018 after taking a break in 2016 after their Sounds Live Feels Live tour, 5 Seconds of Summer are back and better than ever.

The title of the album is named after their number one song featured on the album named “Youngblood”. The bands 2018 tour Meet You There is named after their song “Meet You There”, another hit of theirs. 5sos’s song “Lie To Me” is one of the slowest songs on the album, and almost completely sung by Lead vocalist Luke Hemmings. The album is produced by Andrew Watt and Louis Bell. As a whole I would rate the album 5 stars, and that’s because of how different and how personal it is.

The band members of 5SOS are Luke Hemmings (Lead vocals/ guitar), Michael Clifford (Lead guitar/vocals), Calum Hood (Bass/ vocals) and Ashton Irwin (Drums/ vocals). Luke, Calum and Michael all went to the same school and were posting covers on YouTube, they booked a gig at Annandale Hotel and realized that they didn’t have a drummer. Michael went on FaceBook and found Ashton and asked if he wanted to be in the band, luckily for the three boys he said yes! Ashton is the oldest member of the band at 24, the next being Michael at 23, Calum is also 23 and the youngest member is Luke at 22.

The songs on this album suggests that, it’s about love and heartbreak, with songs such as “Want You Back”, “Ghost Of You” and “Better Man”, all seeming to be about missing a relationship.

The band formed in Sydney, Australia in 2011. The band has been signed with Capitol Records since 2013 and even made their own record label Hi or Hey Records in 2014. There other three albums are self-titled 5 Seconds of Summer, and Sounds Good Feels Good.

The band was gaining popularity on their own, but once Louis Tomlinson of One Direction tweeted about the band in 2012, they skyrocketed into mainstream. 5 Seconds of Summer went on two tours with One Direction. Their first headlining world tour was Rock Out With Your Socks Out in 2014 and continued in 2015. Their second headlined tour was Sounds Live Feels Live in 2016. Their latest tour Youngblood in 2018 was their Meet You There tour. The band sold out Madison Square Garden in 2016.

 

This pop album is one that will stay relevant for a while. Although some radio stations don’t play it as often, because it isn’t new anymore, it should have more recognition. 5 Seconds of Summer even though they’ve been a band for almost eight years, and have released seven Eps, 4 albums and two live albums. They’ve come a long way since they started this journey, and we’re just starting to see what they’re made of. I like the band and their progress and I love their new album and i would 10/10 recommend the album for anyone who is willing to listen.