Jack’s Mannequin – The Glass Passenger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every fan of Jack's Mannequin had the release date for their second album circled on the calendar, and I was definitely one of them. Following the critically acclaimed debut, “Everything in Transit,” “The Glass Passenger,” was a highly anticipated release. I had great expectations for this album; in fact, I downloaded the entire thing from the Apple iTunes store without listening to a ­single song. However, I should have spent my money on something more worthwhile.

The album starts off promisingly with the upbeat, catchy tune “Crashin',” followed by a strong vocal performance by Andrew McMahon in “Spinning.” However, by the fourth song I started to notice how similar each one was to the previous. The vocal tone didn't change from song to song.

While McMahon's vocal performance falls flat, Jay McMillan on drums picks up the slack with powerful beats.

I am still a big fan of the band, but when I'm listening to my iPod I always skip “The Glass Passenger” with the ­exception of a few songs. I learned my lesson: always sample a few singles before you spend your hard-earned money.

nylv1995 said...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 1:35 am
Amazing album
"dark blue" is my favorite
Andew Mcmahon is genius