Muse - "Black Holes and Revelations" | Teen Ink

Muse - "Black Holes and Revelations" MAG

April 27, 2009
By Joey Powalski BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Joey Powalski BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Black Holes and Revelations” is a perfect name for Muse’s latest; the album gives you the feeling of being on another planet. It combines synthesizers, low but deep bass, heavy drums, crisp guitar, and high-pitched vocals to make quite an alien sound. With a perfect mix of slow and fast songs, Muse’s diversity makes the music appeal to any type of listener.

The album’s theme of political corruption bleeds profusely through the songs “Take a Bow,” “Exo-Politics,” “Assassin,” and even “Knights of ­Cydonia.” “Take a Bow” ­blatantly incriminates corrupt leaders with lines such as ­“Corrupt/You corrupt/Bring corruption to all that you touch/ Hold/You’ll behold/And beholden for all that you’ve done/ Spell/Cast a spell/Cast a spell on the country you run.”

The album has a unique and refreshing sound. It is a great choice for those who like electronic rock with a synthetic sound that utilizes the sliding technique on a guitar. The heavier songs, such as “Map of the Problematique,” are almost like a less hardcore Rage Against the Machine. The softer ones, such as “Invincible” and “Soldier’s Poem,” sound like Pink Floyd with more synthesizers, and “Starlight” has a sound similar to U2.

The strongest songs on the album are “Assassin,” “Knights of Cydonia,” “Invincible,” “Starlight,” and “Take a Bow.” “Assassin” is by far the heaviest. It begins with a menacing guitar riff and then explodes with tremendous force sure to knock even the heaviest giant off its feet. “Knights of Cydonia” gives you the feeling of galloping through the countryside on horseback on a mission to save the world. “Invincible” and “Starlight” are both uplifting tracks, and “Take a Bow” is like nothing you’ve ever heard before.

When I first bought “Guitar Hero: World Tour,” I never thought this would be a gateway to finding a new ­favorite band. When I first heard “Assassin” in the game, I thought, I have to hear more. So I picked up Muse’s latest, “Black Holes and Revelations,” and it proved to be $15 well spent.

If you are looking for something new and unique, take a journey with “Black Holes and Revelations.”