Muse - "Black Holes and Revelations" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Black Holes and Revelations” is a perfect name for Muse’s latest; the album gives you the feeling of being on another planet. It combines synthesizers, low but deep bass, heavy drums, crisp guitar, and high-pitched vocals to make quite an alien sound. With a perfect mix of slow and fast songs, Muse’s diversity makes the music appeal to any type of listener.

The album’s theme of political corruption bleeds profusely through the songs “Take a Bow,” “Exo-Politics,” “Assassin,” and even “Knights of ­Cydonia.” “Take a Bow” ­blatantly incriminates corrupt leaders with lines such as ­“Corrupt/You corrupt/Bring corruption to all that you touch/ Hold/You’ll behold/And beholden for all that you’ve done/ Spell/Cast a spell/Cast a spell on the country you run.”

The album has a unique and refreshing sound. It is a great choice for those who like electronic rock with a synthetic sound that utilizes the sliding technique on a guitar. The heavier songs, such as “Map of the Problematique,” are almost like a less hardcore Rage Against the Machine. The softer ones, such as “Invincible” and “Soldier’s Poem,” sound like Pink Floyd with more synthesizers, and “Starlight” has a sound similar to U2.

The strongest songs on the album are “Assassin,” “Knights of Cydonia,” “Invincible,” “Starlight,” and “Take a Bow.” “Assassin” is by far the heaviest. It begins with a menacing guitar riff and then explodes with tremendous force sure to knock even the heaviest giant off its feet. “Knights of Cydonia” gives you the feeling of galloping through the countryside on horseback on a mission to save the world. “Invincible” and “Starlight” are both uplifting tracks, and “Take a Bow” is like nothing you’ve ever heard before.

When I first bought “Guitar Hero: World Tour,” I never thought this would be a gateway to finding a new ­favorite band. When I first heard “Assassin” in the game, I thought, I have to hear more. So I picked up Muse’s latest, “Black Holes and Revelations,” and it proved to be $15 well spent.

If you are looking for something new and unique, take a journey with “Black Holes and Revelations.”

luna_lumos said...
Awesome article! And, of course, Muse is amazing! I like the songs "Starlight" and "Supermassive Black Hole".

Zoe010 said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 1:11 am:
Its because of this band that i took up guitar....im almost as good as chris!!! I can play all their songs. Muse is the best of the best.

ProfessorLaytonRox said...
I absolutly love Muse! Amazing!

A-contradiction said...
May 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm:
Wow I hear Assassin on Guitar Hero and looked up Muse. Bought a lot of their songs on iTunes. This album is 1 of my top 3. Love your descriptions! 

IgniteTheAirwaves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:53 am:

In my opinion, this is a very close second to Absolution.

Nice work!

toxic.monkey said...
by far, i only loved the resistance more than black holes and revelations. nice descriptions!

Kelly O. said...
Aug. 20, 2009 at 5:45 am:
oh my gosh i LOOOOOOVE muse! i love showbiz, absolution, origin of symmetry, black holes and revelations...all of it. i couldn't even say one album is better than the other because they're all just amazing.

WritingRocks said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 6:22 pm:
Muse is one of my favorite bands. I haven't heard Absolution or Origin of symmetry though.

readinredhead33 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 6, 2009 at 3:30 am:
i love muse. and i love most of their albums anyway so i dont think it matters. and im listening to muse right now ;)

Clare C. said...
Jun. 4, 2009 at 5:42 pm:
I like there new album alot to. But I like absoloution and orgin of symmetry better. My friend just put them on my ipod one day, and I loved them.

Joe P said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 7:52 pm:
I have listened to all of their albums and Black Holes and Revelations is still my favorite, but Absolution my 2nd favorite.

Emily J. said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 12:18 am:
I bought Black Holes and Revelations mostly because I had Absolution. It took me a few runs through the CD before I actually started liking it like I did with Absolution.

messijessi said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 12:04 am:
I also love Muse, and I agree with TBra, Absolution is a lot better.

TBra said...
May 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm:
I love Muse. You should definitely listen to Origin of Symmetry and Absolution, they are better than Black Holes and Revelations.