Niall Horan at PNC Bank Arts Center September 2018 | Teen Ink

Niall Horan at PNC Bank Arts Center September 2018

By lizzymessineo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
lizzymessineo BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Niall Horan played at the PNC Bank Arts Center alongside Maren Morris as the opening act. Niall Horan is an Ex- One Direction member based out of England/Ireland. They started out not knowing how famous they would become when they were in high school, they auditioned for the X-Factor with Simon Cowell and Sharon Osbourne. One Direction won the X-Factor in 2010 and then signed to Simon Cowell’s record label Syco Records. After a good 4 years, Zayn Malik left the group to become a solo artist. Then, in 2016 One Direction made it official and broke up. Niall Horan has been a solo artist for 2 years now and has skyrocketed. Most of the fans of One Direction stuck with the guys and listened to their music after the boy band broke up. Niall is from Mullingar, Ireland and some of his music relates back to his roots. His concert was on September 15th at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, New Jersey. The concert took place around 8:30.

Maren Morris opened for Niall with a few songs to pump up the crowd. Her style is country/pop. She sang her most famous song “In the Middle” with ZED. This song is electronic sounding and very upbeat and fun. She sang “Feels” that song was more on the country pop side of her music. Her part of the concert was very entertaining. You can tell by the way she speaks and her attitude that she really loves her fans. The only negative thing I have to say about her is that she talked a lot which did not necessarily pump up the crowd like she was supposed to. Other than that minor inconvenience, she was wonderful and really fun to watch perform.

Every song that was played at the “Flicker World Tour” has a very unique sound and is very appealing to the ear. Niall creates his music to sound like classic rock, early 2000s and 80s music all mixed together, even using some of his old One Direction music for some inspo. “On the Loose is upbeat and fun and sounds a lot like One Direction’s hit song, “Made in the A.M.” The next song is “This Town” this song is a ballad and his voice brings the song together. It would not be the same if anyone else sang it. Next is “Seeing Blind” with Maren Morris. This song has more of a country vibe than most of his other songs. “Slow Hands” is a slower song that is kind of a story in a song. It is so good and is very pleasing to the ears. Those are the main songs from the concert that were my favorites of the night. Niall was perfect he was so entertaining to watch, he danced, interacted with the crowd, and was just amazing to see in person. I have nothing negative to say about the way he performed.

My main issue of the whole night was the transportation and the twelve year olds directing traffic. Getting to the concert was a hassle. It was an hour and a half away from where I live which is halfway to Long Beach Island. When we arrived we were so excited to see Niall but we were not excited to walk up a giant hill to the actual arena. We walked a half a mile in heels and our feet were swelled up by the end of the night. The other issue was getting home. We waited 30 minutes for our ride because she got lost because of the people directing traffic. We then pulled over and asked how old one of the kids was and he said fourteen. I was shocked because if you aren’t old enough to drive yet should you really be directing traffic at a huge arena? I think no.

Overall, the concert was a lot of fun and the songs sounded even better in person than they did on my phone. I would recommend Niall Horan to any fans of One Direction or his style in music. He is a good influence on young people and his music is breathtaking.

I have been working on this concert review for weeks in English class. I feel that it is good enough to be on Teen Ink.