Tim Burton Movies | Teen Ink

Tim Burton Movies

By astlearns BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Alabama
astlearns BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Alabama

Movie lovers have all heard of the famous Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland both directed by Tim Burton. They might have heard of Frankenweenie as well. Knowing information about these movies, people may agree that Tim Burton has an amazing talent of creating both suspenseful and humorous movies. He can also mix then into one. In Burton’s movies he uses lighting, angles, sound, and more to convey the mood of settings in his movies.

In Tim Burton’s Charlie in the Chocolate Factory he uses many camera angles, props, and lighting to convey messages. One example of how Burton uses a camera angles, as well as words to convey messages is in the clip Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Four Lucky Winners. Burton gives Veruca a close up and has the character playing the camera man to ask her “Veruca, can you spell that for us please?”. This example gives the audience an idea that Veruca is rich and possibly famous. The audience will have this idea because camera men do not just walk up to strangers, and put cameras in their faces. Camera men will only do that to famous people. The audience might also feel Veruca is rich when she tells her father “Daddy, I want another pony”. Now the audience is definitely convinced that Veruca is a rich and most likely rude child because an average family most likely can not afford a pony. The people will think that because she used the word “another” indicating she already had one or more ponies. Those are just a few examples on how Burton uses angles and words to convey messages to his audience.

In Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland he uses many camera angles, movements, and lighting to convey ideas. For example in the clip: Alice in Wonderland - Clip: Alice Falls Into a Rabbit Hole (2010) | HD he makes sure to move the camera downwards with Alice to make it seem as if she is falling down a really deep rabbit’s hole. Burton also makes her scream “aaahhhh” to create a dramatic yet more realistic effect. Burton uses all of these techniques to give a more dramatic effect to his movies. He also does it to make his movies have more details, and eye catching moments. Movie lovers can agree that it is working. Another example on how Tim Burton uses angles, props, and characters to convey ideas is in the clip: Alice In Wonderland - Alice Explored (HQ). Burton uses talking flowers to convey ideas, as well as talking animals, and more. Burton uses the talking animals and plants to convey an idea that Alice is really in a Wonderland. He knows that people do not see talking plants and animals everyday, so he puts them in a Wonderland. Which in this movie is a very special place. These are examples of how Tim Burton uses lighting, movement, camera angles, and more to create ideas and give more details.

In Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie he uses lighting, camera angles, and more to create a suspenseful mood. For example in the clip: Frankenweenie “Lightning” Clip Burton creates a dark setting in a classroom with odd children and a teacher. The teacher has a deep voice and is talking about lightning then shouts “BOOM”, and scares the kids. Burton gives the teacher this deep and loud voice to make him sound more strict and mean. He makes the teacher sound mean because kids are usually scared of teachers that seem mean. Burton knows if the children in the movie look scared it might make the audience (mostly kids) scared or feel suspense. Another example is in the clip: Frankenweenie - clip Goldfish reanimated - Available on Digital HD, Blu-ray and DVD Now. After Edgar leaves the pet store Burton shows a dark night time setting with suspenseful background music that you would most likely hear in a scary movie. He also moves the camera up and down from the sky to a house showing the stormy weather with lightning clouds. Burton plays the suspenseful music and has the dark background to show that something weird or extraordinary is about to occur. Then it does, Edgar brings the dead fish he bought from the pet store to Victor’s house. Victor takes the fish and uses lightning to bring the fish back to life. Burton showed the storm and lightning cloud to convey the idea that lightning will be used to do the extraordinary event. These are ways Tim Burton uses his talent to create suspenseful and humorous movies while also using lighting, camera angles, and more to convey messages.

In Burton’s movies he uses lighting, angles, sound, and more to convey the messages of his movies. Tim Burton is an extremely talented director, especially when it comes to camera techniques. Burton can move the camera in many angles to create dramatic and realistic effects. He can also use lighting to convey suspenseful or bright messages. Mr. Burton is an extremely talented director; Movie lovers are obsessed with his movies and always will because of his amazing talents.

Work Cited

Burton, Tim, director. Charlie in the Chocolate Factory - The Four Lucky Winners. Warner Bros., 2015.

Burton, Tim, director. Alice In Wonderland - Clip: Alice
Falls Into a Rabbit Hole (2010) | HD. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment., 2010.

Burton, Tim, director. Alice In Wonderland - Alice Explored (HQ). Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment., 2010.

Burton, Tim, director. Frankenweenie - clip Goldfish reanimated - Available on Digital HD, Blu-ray and DVD Now. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment., 2012.

Burton, Tim, director. Frankenweenie “Lightning” Clip. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment., 2012.

This piece explains how Tim Burton uses many techniques such as lighting and camera angles to convey many messages. I, Angel Thompson, who wrote this piece, hope you understand how many directors use many techniques to convey these ideas.