The Purge | Teen Ink

The Purge

March 17, 2018
By csuhyun1018 BRONZE, Kelapa Gading, Other
csuhyun1018 BRONZE, Kelapa Gading, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Written and directed by James DeMonaco, ‘The purge’ is a 2013 American science fiction horror film. It stars Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey, Adelaide Kane and Max Burkholder. The purge is a day in which for a 12-hour period, all crime is legalized. Crimes including arson, assault, theft, rape and murder becomes legal for this period, and all police, fire, and medical emergency services is suspended during this time The day of the purge is used as a day of ‘catharsis’ for the U.S. populace; the suppressed violence is released on the day of the purge, so that crime rates have plummeted. In reality, the purge is being used as a method of artificial population control as the unemployed poor in the slums are usually main targets for killing during this night. The movie centers around an affluent family in Los Angeles. While the family awaits the start of the Purge in their safe house, a wounded man finds his way into the house. The man, although innocent, was the target of the purge by a group of young adults. Having found that the wounded man is in the family’s house, the gang attacks the family’s house, resulting in a series of thrilling and bloody fights. Although originally a low budget movie, ‘the purge’ was a commercial success. The fascinating backstory and colourful characters serve as powerful success points. In fact, the movie developed into a film series, releasing its second movie ‘The purge: Anarchy’ in the year 2014 and its third film ‘The purge: Election Year’ in the year 2016.