Twilight

First off, let me say that I was completely against this movie before I even watched it. The plot was so simplistic that I was able to state every twist and turn it would take without knowing anything more than the main characters. My guesses were confirmed by my younger sister, who has become one of the mindless Twilight minions.
Even though I despise the very concept of this story, I agreed to watch the movie and write a real review. Unlike the extremists who have either decided to become completely immersed in the fantasy or to completely shun the thought of such an overrated phenomenon, I am giving this film a fair review.
The opening sequence uses a very satisfying camera movement to hook the viewer. I found myself drawn into a rush of adrenaline as the shot weaved in and out of the trees. The rest of the camera work throughout the remainder of the movie was nothing to be mocked, but it was not exceptionally pleasing either.
The story is just as simple as I had originally imagined, but for those who are not looking towards a thought-provoking film this is unquestionably entertaining enough to keep the viewers attention. The teenage love story between a pale-faced human and a self-doubting vampire is more than satisfying for any ‘tweenie' movie or ‘chick flick'. The suspense and thrill, which grasps the attention of all the boys who get pushed into watching, is even more prevelant due to the presence of the so-called ‘vampires' and ‘werewolfs'. This new take on the classic horror story villains is an unforgivable mistake, but that is a topic for another time.
The acting is decent, but it is not entirely impressive. While most fans of the movie are obsessed with the appearance of Edward Cullen, acted by Robert Pattinson, it is important to point out that his acting is actually quite good. The likeness traits he portrays in his character are very entertaining and realistic. He delivers his lines with fluidity and emotion.
Kristen Stewart, Bella Swan, is simply not on the same level as her partner. Her voice is unsatisfactory in terms of her monologues. The voice-over in the beginning lacks inflection, and it does not give the desired effect. In the beginning of the film, Stewart seems to rush her lines. It is a pity, because the dialogue is well written. As the film progresses she does grow on the viewer. Her emotion begins to take shape near the end of the film, but unfortunately her voice still leaves much to be desired.
The end of the climax was visually engaging as the director bombards the audience with a beautiful flow of pictures. Overall it was an entertaining movie. There was even an unexpected moral about will power near the end. Even though I was completely against this entire series I find that I am actually looking forward to seeing the next movie even if Dakota Fanning is in the cast, but again, that is a topic for another time.

pinkvolleyballgirl said...
if you DO like Twilight, check out the awesome poem
TeenInk.com/raw/Poetry/article/102304/Vampire/

wow123 said...
i do not like twilight. and i do not think anyone should read it b.c it encourages violence and love.

KICK3593 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 5, 2009 at 2:28 am
I'm against the film and the books. The verse and ideas are childless, like attempting to make a happy (-ier) ending for Romeo and Juliet (Oh, no wait, that was in Say Anything...).

BrockUniversity101 said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 12:00 am
I have to agree this review was well thought out and I also have to agree that the movie was not what was expected. I have all four twilight books myself and after reading them over almost 3 times, plus the first, the books are actually quite boring. These are the books you can read over again in 2 years or so and not remember a thing but, if you read them again in a couple of months you remember every single detail. I wouldn't exactly say the movie was disappointing. I find disappointing an ... (more »)

mooselover92 said...
Apr. 13, 2009 at 4:40 am
I really like this review me being a former "twilight minion" am glad im not the only who thought the movie stunk.

Cody B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 13, 2009 at 2:11 am
To Mr. Knightley:

Yes, word has it that Dakota Fanning is going to be added to the cast of Twilight as one of the characters not seen in the first film.

winter K. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I am someone who has read all four books and, though i used to be a "twilight minion", recently i have been able to step back and realize it actually isn't too good. i like the article you wrote. you didn't sugar-coat things yet at the same time you didn't totally shun it.
kudos to you, dude.

meredith P. said...
yeah.i am one of those Twilight 'zombies' as you so put it.and bellas voice is sposed to be like that.and yeah i absolutely am obsessed with edward cullen(robert pattinson!!!xoxo).and i agree with you about dakota fanning.i cant stand her.BLAHHH!!!!!but that is the only thing i agree with you about.but at least you gave it a fair rating.i give it a 1,000 out of 10.

p.s.VAMPIRES RULE!!!!!

xwordlyxwondersx said...
Thank you for this article. Unlike most "hater" reviews for both the book and the movie, Twilight, this was actually well-written, as well as well-thought-out. You provided a calm and collected opinion, which stated your point but didn't particularly offend any readers.

I have to agree with you on the subject of the movie. All in all, it was simply disappointing. I've read and followed the entire saga by Stephenie Meyer, and I have to say that I was expecting 120 percent, and ... (more »)

jwilkinson20 said...
I AGREE.

Mr.Knightley said...
OH THANK GOD!I'M NOT ALONE! My sister is one of those Edward Zombies too, and just hearing the word twilight makes me want to jump off a building. But I liked that you gave the movie a fair review, something I wouldn't have done. Thanks for convincing me of my sanity.

P.S. Dakota Fanning?!

musicgirl757 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This review was very well thought out, and i'm glad you decided to give it a fair chance, even though you didn't like it. but i'm going to warn you, your going to get a lot of negative commets from twighlight obsessed people. lots of luck, i personally thought it was good.