Star Wars: The Force Awakens | Teen Ink

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

By ryanhu PLATINUM, West Windsor, New Jersey
ryanhu PLATINUM, West Windsor, New Jersey

Don't cry that it's over, because it happened.

After two years of waiting, the legendary sequel to Star Wars: The Force Awakens has finally been released. Up until this point, I had been humming the iconic Star Wars theme and thinking about various plot theories for days. Who was going to die in this movie? What will happen between Rey and Kylo Ren? As a Star Wars fan, I was quite excited for this movie, and the trailer, which left a cliff-hanger on the last jedi, animated me further. I even avoided anything related to Star Wars online to stay away from spoilers. To give a brief plot summary, the story follows the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, where Rey attempts to find and learn from Luke Skywalker, and the Rebels try to evade the rapidly growing First Order, who in turn, attempt to obliterate the rebel fleet. Seems like a classic Star Wars plot, however, it was much different than most people expected.

As the previous movie had very good reviews, and since I am a Star Wars fan, I was expecting a lot from this movie. The runtime was very long, around two and a half hours, so the movie had enough time to develop a plot. After the movie, however, I was left feeling a bit confused and slightly unsatisfied. At the beginning, the interaction between Luke and Rey as Rey attempted to get Luke to teach her was a bit too drawn out, and the movie could have been shortened by getting rid of a few unneeded parts here and there. In addition, there were a few plot holes that confused me more than it helped the storyline. For example, when did the First Order become so strong after the fall of the Empire? The threat of First Order should have been less intense after the deaths of the Sith. In addition, the audience was provided no backstory on who Snoke was and where he came from, despite him being one of the primary antagonists. Finally, the ending and climax were quite dissatisfactory and anticlimactic, with no clear final battle. At one point, it seemed that the final battle would take place in space, but it continued on the surface of the planet. The buildup died away after the prolonged “climax”, and it no longer felt like a good ending.

Despite these criticisms, the graphics and CGI were fantastic and the movie wasn’t horrible, with a few funny moments here and there. Overall, the movie was a little bit of a letdown, not quite meeting my expectations. I would recommend this movie to people who have watched the previous Star Wars movies, but not to anyone who is not a huge fan of the series. The movie isn’t all too interesting without being aware of the previous storylines, and doesn’t make too much sense either. I would also warn the fans not to expect too much, as the movie was a bit overhyped and not as good as everyone said it was.

I am a Star Wars fan and I love to share my views of the movie with others.