Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Teen Ink

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

By Tigerwriter757 SILVER, Merritt Island, Florida
Tigerwriter757 SILVER, Merritt Island, Florida

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, fans wait in agony for the next addition to their beloved childhood movies to come to the big screen once again. Fans, young and old alike, have been waiting for Star Wars: The Last Jedi to air for just over a year. Even with Rogue One still months from its release, Star Wars fans around the world were already preparing for the next jaw-dropping film that will leave you on the edge of your seat. Fans recall from their youth watching Luke Skywalker make his first attempts at becoming a Jedi with Obi-Wan Kenobi and watching Han Solo pilot that rust-bucket of a Falcon. Even through all those years, the saga has survived, and its fan-base is growing larger than ever. With the new movie, even more fans will join in to celebrate the movie that has been around longer than many of us have been alive.

For both newcomers and returning Star Wars fans alike, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was a complete success. With the return of memorable faces from the original saga, and new faces of characters fans are just beginning to embrace, this latest addition to the series has blown many others right out of the water. With the latest edition behind it, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, ranking in over 155 million dollars in the first weekend alone, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was up against a serious competitor. Not to mention, with so many returning faces and a completely different director, many fans were skeptical of this next edition. But since the trailer first aired, presenting past characters in a whole new light, with new ships and planets to explore, fans have been craving more and more information.

The Last Jedi, released on December 15, included incredible digital effects and hilarious new character additions that will be remembered for as long as the love for this movie series stays alive. One of the most iconic new faces from the film however, was Rose Tico. Rose’s life has not been the easiest. She has seen things, and dealt with things that make her one of the strongest new characters added to the saga by far. While she does come off very kind and civil, she is actually incredibly strong. After losing her sister to an attempt to take down a First Order Dreadnought, Rose has been left to pick up the pieces. While she is no military commander, she is more than willing to do what it takes to save those she cares about and do what is right. This is evidenced periodically through the support of Poe Dameron’s plans to help take down the First Order, which nearly get her killed. While it is still unclear what will become of her in the following movie, Star Wars: Episode VIIII, it is clear to fans that she is to be remembered.

Throughout their journey in this movie however, was none other than Amilyn Holdo. Much underrated with many Star Wars fans, this purple haired leader is braver than she looks. While not only known for her stellar military career throughout the Resistance, Holdo also gave her life to it. While to many fans this did not seem very special, considering many X-Wing pilots gave more than they had to stand up for the Rebellion, she did more than even they did. As such a close friend to the renowned General Organa, there was no doubt she had a strong way of leading and was quick at making decisions that were good for all. This was easily presented in the movie, when she stayed cool under the pressure of raised blasters from some of her other crewmen. Taking her quick window of opportunity, she was able to get away and put her plans into action, which eventually saved the rebellion.

However, despite these two new strong female roles (that are becoming more and more present in this saga), The Last Jedi did something extremely unique to the Star Wars saga. Producers made a mention to include two new First Order soldiers to the mix, rather than just a reboot of the original. The first of these new additions was the Stormtrooper Executioner. Underneath Captain Phasma in the ranks of the First Order, these Stormtroopers are known for their tools of execution. Handling laser axes, which come specially equipped with extended lasers, these Stormtroopers do the bidding of the First Order, to execute guilty prisoners. While their appearance in the film was short, the will provide an explanation to readers as to why the prison wing always seemed so empty. The second of these additions were the Elite Praetorian Guards of the one-and-only Emperor Snoke. The Praetorian Guards, wearing armor the color of blood and carrying double ended knives as their weapons of choice, are the guards to Snoke’s person throne room. These guards never say a word in the film, but they are much more deadly than they appear, making them the perfect protection for someone so powerful.

With as many new and amazing characters as there are in the saga, there are also unique and interesting places that are littered throughout the galaxy. To add to this movie, The Last Jedi made mention to expand what we already know into even more. Whether it be Cloud City, hovering miles off the surface of Bespin, or the famous Cantina, drawing in the most devious and clever traders from all across the planet. No Star Wars film would be complete without the addition of just one more of these iconic locations. This newly included Canto Bight, a calling for the rich and the wealthy gamblers and partiers alike, was a must have in this addition to the saga. With memory of the Cantina still fresh in the minds of all Star Wars fans, it was no wonder that it was such a success. With its new creatures and interesting choices of fun and games, this new gambling establishment is sure to last through the ages.

Throughout the movie, Rey battles with her calling to the dark side from both Kylo Ren and the force itself. With Luke’s guidance, while she is still tempted, she was able to keep her sense of good and be truthful to the light. While this aspect of the movie was absolutely expected by fans, Kylo Ren’s doubts about the First Order made many fans intrigued. While everyone remembers Darth Vader’s confession to the light side of the force, that he felt its pull and could not deny its hold on him, it is a remaining question for all fans if Ren will follow in his footsteps. While he does claim he is the true descendent of Vader, fans can’t help but wonder if he will follow in this way too. Star Wars film-makers did an excellent job of bringing fans the hard truths of the galaxy, and what the future has held. It has shown both the hard times, the good times, and the scary times. It shows not only that the force lies in everyone, but that it is never too late to turn back to the side of good. But after such a long time of waiting for this film, it is a good thing fans only have to wait five more months for the release of Solo.