Happy Death Day | Teen Ink

Happy Death Day

By SabinaZ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
SabinaZ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“Happy Death Day” was the number one movie in North America in October of 2017 and it was rightfully so. The viewers get to experience a mystery/thriller that captivates them within the first few minutes. “Happy Death Day” is a perfect balance of horror, comedy, and a splash of romance. Walking into the movie theater, I did not know what to expect, but then the movie started, and I was hooked.

As the lights turned off, and the movie started I was amazed by how well the actors were portrayed. The main character, Tree (Jessica Rothe), was first shown as a stereotypical popular girl in college. As she kept on dying, and trying to find the person who was killing her she became more aware of the kind of person she really wanted to be. Her personal story, and the suspense of who the killer was captivated me and probably everyone else in the movie theater. It was heartwarming to see how Tree was changing as a person. Carter Davis (Isreal Broussard) was the person in whose room Tree woke up, and who helped her through the loop. Christopher B. Landon did an amazing job directing “Happy Death Day.” The tension in the movie made me glued to my seat even when my drink and popcorn were empty.

The theme of the movie was that no matter what the circumstances, a person will always find their inner good. “Happy Death Day” incorporated symbolic events that enriched the movie. The day that Tree was reliving was one of the symbols in the movie because it was her birthday. A birthday is when somebody is born and the day the rest of their life begins. The creators of “Happy Death Day” used this meaning and turned it into a movie which was absolutely genius. Each time that Tree died was a step closer to finding out who the true killer was. With each death she also became closer to the person she wanted to be. The creators of the movie went even further and elaborated on why Tree is the mean girl in college. The music contributed to the mood of the movie, and the events that would follow. One example of this is Tree’s  ringtone in the mornings. The song made the viewers laugh even though they knew that she would die later, which was kind of ironic.  The theme, symbolic events, and the music were elaborated and connected well, especially towards the end.

The camera crew did an amazing job in capturing every detail of the movie. They made sure to add what the director wanted the people sitting in the movie theater to see, and what they wanted the viewers to think about. The crew also positioned the cameras, so that they would not shake, or even move when they did not want them to. There were many special effects that I loved in “Happy Death Day.” The way Tree died and the setting were both made with special effects that were executed beautifully. They were believable, and went well with the purpose of the movie. The special effects were not the only things that were realistic. The sets and costumes were appropriate to the setting, and relevant to the theme of the movie as well. Since the movie took place in the 21st century there really were no costumes except for the one the killer wore as a disguise. The mask that he/she wore was the face of the mascot for the college teams. The sets in which the movie was shot in felt realistic, and the viewers who are in college can probably relate.

When I was watching “Happy Death Day,” I realized that the dialogue was very specific to the setting and to the people around the main characters. The words the characters said supported the tone of the movie. Also both the words and the way they said them, matched the personality of the characters that were written in the script. The script was beautifully made and edited, because it was relevant to the events that were happening. Everything was planned out perfectly. The editor of the movie played a huge role in helping the movie accomplish its number one status. The flow of the movie was consistent and the transition between scenes was beautifully timed. The director had to know what to cut to make it into the success it was in October. The pace of the movie let me understand enough about what was going on and what each character was doing. The movie was clearly organized, and flowed very well.

“Happy Death Day” had me holding onto my seat for the whole hour and thirty-six minutes. The way characters were portrayed, the acting, the dialogue, the pacing, theme, and symbolism all contributed to me, and everyone in the room being captured. It is a mystery/thriller that will blow your mind away in the very first few minutes. If you want mystery, thriller, horror, comedy, and romance you should watch “Happy Death Day,” especially if it is your birthday.