Spirited Away | Teen Ink

Spirited Away

November 17, 2017
By Anonymous

Prepare to get “Spirited Away” with magic, awe-inspiring, tearful, laughter-filled, heartfelt journey through a land of sweeping fantasy and dreams. This 2002 animated film by Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki which left me feeling lighter than air. This thrilling, spectacularly beautiful movie is about an 10-year-old girl named Chihiro who moved to an new town with her parents. During their trip to their new home, they stumble upon a seemingly abandoned amusement park. They decided to check out the abandoned place while Chihiro follows behind her parents. She gets worried over time by the little shines and the appearance of food with no vendor. Her mother and father have been turned into giant pig for eating the curse food. Along with her searching for help, Chihiro meets the mysterious Haku, who explains that the amusement park is a resort for supernatural beings who need a break from their time spent in the earthly realm, and that she must work there to free herself and her parents from this terrible curse. The best moments from which engrossed me with Chihiro is her adventures inside the resort, and the characters she comes into contact with as she tries to get her parents back as humans. Throughout her adventures was a magical ride of mysteries that sweep with fantasy. Making this my all time favorite childhood animated movie. I find this not all-aged group film for it can be a creepy and frightening experience. Especially for younger viewers. There are dozens of things happening in Chihiro surroundings with can make young viewers feel uncomfortable while watching this film. However on how the story flows is which make younger views engrossed with Chihiro more than her surrounding. Making this a movie for everyone who enjoys action, comedy, and horror.  


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this movie review to hope that people will enjoy this movie as much as I did when I was an kid.