2001: A Space Odyssey | Teen Ink

2001: A Space Odyssey

November 8, 2017
By Anonymous

After the success of Arthur C Clarke's science fiction novel, the famed director Stanley Kubrick took it upon himself to recreate Clarke’s envisioned story. The result, a realistic yet completely fictional masterpiece, “2001 A Space Odyssey”.


The story is based around a perfectly rectangular extraterrestrial object mechanized to advance a species evolution simply by looking at it, otherwise known as the monolith. At the beginning of the film it's used to explain our ancestors rapid evolution. Fast forward to the year 2001 and a group of colonists have found what seems to be the same exact object, except this time on the moon. Its existence is a mystery and its purpose challenges mankind. The majority of the film however sets its eyes on three key figures, astronaut Dave Bowman portrayed by actor Keir Dullea, the spacecraft's internal computer system HAL 9000 voiced by the infamous Douglas Rain, and astronaut Frank Poole played by actor Gary Lockwood. The film focuses on these 3 and their awkwardly placed adventure to the moons of Jupiter.


The set designs and physics of the spacecrafts are groundbreakingly realistic. All the astronauts are shown to be traveling within zero gravity conditions as if they were really in space, where only the centripetal force of their rotating spacecrafts and velcro pads keeps them on their feet. The concept of artificial gravity in this film also works out better than I’ve ever seen it before, as most movies will use artificial gravity with no viable explanation. Many additional aspects of the spacecraft are not very much different from those one could find upon our modern day international space station.


The films sound and score are another factor worth noting. All scenes taking place in space are silent as they should be. The films music utilizes a interesting series of scales and chords. Coincidentally many people will listen to the music featured in the film elsewhere without knowledge of where is comes from. At certain moments taking place in the film, the music is almost descriptive, as its elasticity to the events taking place are clearly evident. In the first scene of the film when our ancestors are shown making the realization that they can use tools instead of their hands, the music shows this dynamic by not being there at all, starting softly and then gradually getting louder as the realization is made. The music during the portion film in the future also contains a unique feel to it, as the styles utilized are baroque and classical which in turn gives space the effect of feeling large, vast, and endless.


Even though the plot of the movie is usually criticized for its lack of comprehension, I still admire the film for it's bigger picture and mystery. I believe that 2001 a Space Odyssey is definitely a film worth viewing.