The Silence of the Lambs | Teen Ink

The Silence of the Lambs

The main reason people watch movies is to feel something. Whether it’s happiness, sadness, or anything in between, this form of entertainment’s main purpose is to stimulate our senses. Horror films are an aquired taste, but there are a few pictures that everyone can agree are classics. The Silence of the Lambs, directed by Jonathan Demme, is undoubtedly in that category.  The film portrayed a form of horror that only intellectual individuals could fully understand the terror of the plot. The Silence of the Lambs is one of the most successful thrillers because of the disturbing characters, the eerie settings, and the overall theme of gender, which may be the most horrific position of it all.

One of the main characters was named Hannibal Lecter, who was a full blown psychopath. Getting a quick glance at him, you would think he looked like an average person walking down the street. Viewing closer, the horrific details would come alive. His eyes would send a strange chill down your spine, and create a feeling at the bottom of your stomach you couldn’t shake. His smile would quirk up slowly, never looking genuine. Every time he would get angry, it would not show in his face, but only his voice. Lecter’s stone cold eyes would stay the exact same, the orbs gazing into your soul. The tone of his voice would slightly rise, but at all times, he seemed very monotone and as still as a summer morning. Another main character was named Clarice Starling, who was an FBI student. She looked as frail as a baby, but was hard as nails. Her piercing blue eyes observed everything in their sights. Despite her innocent smile that made her still look like a small school girl, she proved herself by being as sharp as her superiors. These two characters correlated by deceiving the viewer into thinking they were someone they’re not. 

The setting of the film was in Quantico, Virginia. The weather always seemed gloomy, as if the universe purposely kept every day looking as dark as the bottom of the ocean. This set an overall tone of dreariness throughout the film, and also kept the watcher on edge. The insane asylum where they kept Hannibal would give you goosebumps. The cells were so dirty you wouldn’t wish your worst enemy to live in them. The bricks in the walls were worn down from all the prisoners continuously scraping at them. Hannibal’s cell was in the deep dark basement, where it would send a chill down your spine. Intricate drawings were spread out all over Hannibal’s cell, for this was the only way for him to get an escape of the horrible place he was in. There was also the serial killer’s home that was a very important setting in the picture. His house was like an evil lair, and only the bravest would dare go in. The grimy basement is where he would place his prey. Cut-out newspaper articles and thousands of books were scattered everywhere in the home. The bathroom where he kept his old, rotting, victims held a stench that was unbearable. These two locations in the film are beneficial to creating the aura of horror.
Some may say the most scary part of the movie is the theme of gender. Starling was the only female agent in the movie, and was surrounded by men the whole time. It brings into perspective on how society views women. Women are strong individuals who can do just the same as men. The unwanted gaze of men towards Clarice is unsettling throughout the piece as a whole. Her strong beliefs towards helping the minority make her shine and stand out from the rest of the characters, making the watcher root for her in solving the case. Clarice wished she could act like the delicate flower she is, but in order to do the job of her dreams, she has to act more masculine. Being feminine is a double edged sword for her and created many conflicts.

The Silence of the Lambs portrayed horror in a unique way and left you with a peculiar feeling in your stomach. The characters were elaborate and left you wanting to know more. The setting added to the creepiness and tone. The film also touched on social issues between gender in the work field, making the viewer think about life. The film was a masterpiece overall.