Forrest Gump | Teen Ink

Forrest Gump

By TaylorRoss124 BRONZE, Amherst, New York
TaylorRoss124 BRONZE, Amherst, New York

“Life is like like a box of chocolates,” said Mrs. Gump. What does that mean? Sweet? Full of variety? There’s so many answers to this one statement that set the precedent of the movie Forrest Gump. Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) is described as a simple minded man with an I.Q of 76. However, he finds himself in some of the most significant moments of history from the beginning of Elvis Presley’s Rock n’ Roll to Nixon’s Watergate Scandal. He goes through lifes events without the cynicism of an average man, which makes for an interesting parallel to the average comedy/drama story. This movie is incredibly well directed so that it is very easy to believe that Forrest was in these situations. From standing at the schoolhouse door with George Wallace, to going to China to face their ping pong champion, to talking to anti- Vietnam protesters as a Vietnam veteran, winning the Congressional Medal of Honor. However, he is constantly battling with his love for his grade school crush Jenny (Robin Wright). Even through everything he has experienced, his mind and heart always travels back to envisioning his future with her. Jenny is constantly leaving him, but their paths always intertwine like star crossed-lovers. The recurring pattern of them finding each other and her leaving is an annoying, but understandable cat-and-mouse scenario. What seems like a strike of luck his entire life causes him to ponder the true meaning of how unexpected life and love can truly be. When he finally gets to be with Jenny, she leaves him for the last time and all the luck he built seems to dissipate. It taught me as a watcher that life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’ll get.

I was doing a final project for my AP English class where I watched classic movies I've never seen and reviewed them. Out of all of the movies, Forrest Gump was my favorite and I would watch it multiple times. Without this project, I probably would have never watched this movie.